4313Computer Security - Nov 12 Computer SIG Talk

  • Charlie Hansen
    Nov 12, 2005
      Hi All,

      As requested at this morning's Computer SIG meeting, here is a list of the internet web sites that were on the PowerPoint slides that I used for my presentation about Computer Security.

      The programs and tests are all free or free to use for testing. Some of the programs will only work with Internet Explorer as they use Microsoft's ActiveX. I have inserted extra lines before and after each URL so hopefully the line formatting won't get messed up by transmission along the e-mail paths.

      Yours for safe computing,

      Charlie

      ================================
      Firewall tests and more:

      http://www.auditmypc.com/

      http://www.testmyfirewall.com/

      http://scan.sygatetech.com/

      http://www.pcflank.com/about.htm

      Symantec (Norton) On-line security and virus detection tests:

      http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

      Kaspersky malware scanner; very thorough, but its deep scanning takes a long time. I had to leave it running overnight.

      http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

      URL for AVG antivirus program:

      http://www.grisoft.com/

      URL for ZoneAlarm firewall:

      http://www.zonelabs.com/

      URL for Spybot Search and Destroy malware detector program:

      URL for Ad-Aware malware detector program:

      http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

      E-mail spam detector and classifier. My favorite is PopFile (tags over 99.9% of spam after training). Works with the rules or filters of your e-mail program move it to a spam folder or delete it:

      http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

      I use the above with Pegasus e-mail, free at:

      http://www.pmail.com/

      URL for Pitstop which offers several tests of PC performance and internet speed:

      http://www.pcpitstop.com/

      Home page for PCWorld magazine. Check out "See all newsletters" on the left side of the page near the bottom, for free newsletters:

      http://www.pcworld.com/

      PCWorld article on "The New Security War" with links to the  items in the special November 2005 issue on Computer Security:

      URL to the CBC Marketplace item on identity theft (first of six pages).

      http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/scams/phishing/index.html

      Consumer Reports articles; Scroll down to near the bottom centre of the page to antispam, antispyware and antivirus links under:
      "Computer hardware & software":

      http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers.htm

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic