4077Browser Talk at Computer SIG June 11

  • Charlie Hansen
    Jun 12, 2005
      Hi All,

      During my presentation I was unable to show the Websites
      that were listed on my PowerPoint slides, due to difficulties
      with the internet connection. If you would like to browse those
      sites, a text copy of the slides of my prompts and ULRs
      follows. I hope that it doesn't lose it's formatting along the
      e-mail transmission path.

      The evolution of Internet Browsers followed the growth of the
      Internet, so the first part of my presentation covered the
      history of the Internet. Most of the URLs have lots of links
      to more information.

      ************************Internet Browsers**********************

      =================The Internet  1==============
      • Need for a secure communication system due to Cold War threat,   1962-1968
      • http://www.davesite.com/webstation/net-history.shtml
      • ARPA, DARPA, ARPANET, NCP Protocol email, TCP/IP Protocol,   1968-1974
      • Ethernet invented, UUCP, USENET, BITNET, 1974-1981

      =================The Internet 2=================
      • Domain Name System created, 1983
      • Technical Improvements and Expansion  213 Hosts in 1981 to
        >300,000 in 1990
      • WWW and http protocol invented, ~1990 to supplement earlier protocols, ftp, etc.
      • http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html
      • http://www.w3.org/Consortium/history.html

      =================The Internet 3=================
      • HTML, XML, CSS, other standards evolving from 1990 - present
      • Computers have also evolved from the original IBM 8080 based to the present P4, AMD, Power PC and other Unix, Linux, APPLE versions
      • Communication has also improved from 300 baud dial-ups to 56k and now various speeds of DSL and cable connections, allowing for much larger files to be accessed, such as graphics and photos

      =================Browser Functions=================
      • Get User Input from keyboard, mouse and even voice input
      • Interpret that input, ie URL & standard keyboard commands
      • Connect to communication channel, dial-up, DSL or Cable using TCP/IP, FTP or other protocols
      • Exchange preliminary information with target computer

      =================Browser Functions 2=================
      • Interpret initial information and set correct modes
      • Download data into cache
      • Decode, encode and decript/encript if required
      • Manage downloads, history, “cookies”, forms, bookmarks or favorites, and search functions
      • Render the data for proper display with the rendering engine

      =================WEB Browsers=================
      • There are many web browsers available, ranging from the original Mosaic to the current FireFox
      • http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/www/web_browser.html
      • http://www.nonags.com/nonags/www32.html
      • The most commonly used browsers are:    Internet Explorer 6, Netscape various versions, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera

      ============Layout (Rendering) Engines============
      • Trident - for Internet Explorer on Windows, Internet Explorer shells, and some media players
      • Tasman - for Internet Explorer on Macintosh
      • Gecko - for Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, and other Gecko-based browsers
      • WebCore - for Safari and OmniWeb

      ============Layout (Rendering) Engines 2============
      • KHTML - for Konqueror
      • Presto - for Opera 7 and above, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX and above, and Adobe Creative Suite 2
      • GtkHTML
      • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_layout_engines

      ============More about WEB Browsers============
      • Some browsers have built in e-mail, HTML editors/Composers and other features while others like Firefox are pure browsers
      • All you want to know can be found here:
      • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers
      • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

      ============More about WEB Browsers 2============
      • The February 2005 PC World had a feature article on browsers and IE add-ons
      • http://www.avantbrowser.com/index.html
      • http://www.maxthon.com/
      • http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,8316,findid,45730,00.asp
                 This long URL has a link to:
      • http://www.netcaptor.com/

      =====================END========================

      The browers mentioned are available for free downloads at the following websites:

      URL for Netscape8 browser:

      http://browser.netscape.com

      URL for other Netscape browsers:

      http://sillydog.org/narchive/

      URL for Mozilla and Firefox browser:

      http://www.mozilla.org/products/

      URL for Opera browser:   (Advertising on free version)

      http://www.opera.com/

      Regards,

      Charlie
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca