      From: Bill Mumford [mailto:mumford@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:27 PM
      To: Judith
      Cc: 'William Campbell'; 'AFHS'
      Subject: Re: GENOGRAPHIC PROJECT

      From what I've read on this project it appears they are just
      determining haplogroup. This will not help you a great deal with
      finding your ancestors. It will simply tell you where they might have
      originated. Family Tree DNA is the organization supplying the test swabs
      etc. The University of Arizona does the actual testing. The cost is
      $99US which is the same price as FTDNA's 12 marker Y chromosome test or
      an mtDNA test. If they send you the 12 marker results as well as the
      haplogroup type then the 12 markers, if matched exactly with another
      person with the same surname, indicate a 50% chance you have a common
      ancestor within 14 generations. See www.familytreedna.com

      BTW, my haplogroup is I (Viking)

      Cheers

      Bill