3120Family Papers Collection

  • Bill Mumford
    Sep 20, 2004
      the list Address

      A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
      Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
      Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of Directors
      had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
      detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
      30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
      confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
      deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
      with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
      mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
      decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
      to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
      has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
      reply to our appeal. None was received.

      I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
      2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
      have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
      mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
      information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am not
      at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
      the Family Papers Collection visit.

      I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
      the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
      their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
      it is
      any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my files
      to their original condition.

      Regretfully

      Bill Mumford