3068RE: UK address

    Sep 4, 2004
      the list Address

      Hi Ann,

      According to my understanding an urban district is not necessarily "an area
      comprising more than just the town named". It could be as large as a small
      town or smaller than a larger town or city. London, in fact, was comprised
      of 32 boroughs and several urban districts.

      The rural districts were the areas surrounding the urban districts and the
      town/city boroughs. Rural districts were described as having the typical
      shape of a doughnut with the towns/cities with their boroughs and urban
      districts forming the hole in the centre.

      London was comprised of over 32 boroughs and urban districts. The borders of
      small towns (which were considered "one borough") could be exactly the same
      as the urban district. The reason for this is the different functions of the
      "borough" and the districts.

      County boroughs shared responsibilities with town and city boroughs for
      strategic services. Town and city boroughs could appoint mayors. Rural and
      urban districts did not have the same powers as a borough council nor did
      their "head" have the same authority or duties of a mayor. These district
      councils looked after necessary "evils" rather strategic matters. e.g.
      sanitation (sewer & garbage). I also think they had responsibility for
      postal services, which is why addresses during the period used the U.D.
      designation.

      I could be wrong but my conclusions are supported by several online
      encyclopedias as well as a document I cannot locate at the moment that
      showed the 32 boroughs and urban districts of London and the corresponding
      designations now. (A certified genealogist in London referred to this
      document when I was attempting to locate a will probated during that time
      frame.)

      For more see these sources:
      http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Rural%20district
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_district

      Also from another source, which I did not identify in my notes (hate it when
      I do that), I quote:
      "In 1888 boroughs were divided into two sorts: county boroughs with powers
      similar to those of counties, and the ordinary municipal boroughs. Smaller
      towns were made into urban districts in 1894.

      Various Reform acts gave more seats to the expanding boroughs, while
      disfranchising smaller ones. After 1884 voters in county and borough seats
      had the same franchise so the distinction was now less important.

      In 1974 the old division between county and borough came to an end, with
      England being divided below county level into districts."

      Hope that clarifies without being more confusing!

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
      Call to find out the next free sessions of "Scrapbooking Made Easy"