2961901 English Census

  • Rene
    Sep 21, 2002
      Hello:

      If you have accessed the 1901 census you may have found that there are
      many transcription errors.

      This is a message I received from a friend in England:

      > I have been using the 1901 census for about 3 months now. It was available in London at the FRC before it went onto the web temporarily. I filled in that many mistake forms in my alotted hour in London one day that the supervisor came to see me. He asked if I would like to see the representative of the contracting firm who did the work on the census to see if I could get a refund on my voucher money. I waited and spoke to the rep but he said that because I had seen what I wanted he could not make any refund, so I enquired about a refund for time wasted searching and he just laughed at me and walked away. I have not finished yet; every time I go to London I will fill the same fault forms in until I get some response or they correct the mistakes.

      (Rene: I understand that all the errors are going to be corrected at a
      later date. I believe that January 2003 was mentioned.)

      he replied:

      > Lots of misspellings i.e. 50% of the Grunwells are down as Greenwells; husband's and wife's names spelt differently, even though the wife's name had "do" at the side of it. One person was shown as born in Ecclesfield, and the image clearly stated born in Germany. All these add up to time wasted trying to hunt for people.

      We have to be very inventive when searching for some of our missing
      ancestors.

      Initially, I could not find my first husband's family. The last name was
      Tunstall and when I eventually found it I discovered that it had been
      transcribed as Timstall. There is no way I could have found that using a
      wildcard because a wildcard must be preceded by at least two characters.

      In hindsight I suppose I could have tried Ta* Te* Ti* To* and Tu* but
      this type of search did not occur to me.

      The way I found the family in the end was to do a search using the given
      name only, not the surname. To do this you have to show given name, sex,
      age (you can use +/-), and place of birth.

      Best of luck with your searches!

      Rene Dussome