      Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:09 AM
      Subject: Searching for Pte Bert McDonald or relatives

      Good morning everyone.

      I have a co-worker who has been recently processing her late mother's papers and effects.  She has photos, a newspaper article and a medal for a Pte. McDonald.  A photograph of him in uniform, it is black and white, it looks like an RCMP (to me, an Englishwoman) but could be army with the notation "Sergeant McDonald".

      The newspaper article is from the Calgary Herald, dated Wednesday April 19, 1944.

      Alberta and BC Champions meet.

      Army boxers have well conditioned and classy teams for Friday bouts.

      In this article it states "Pte. Bert McDonald, another of the Camrose battlers, is the featherweight open hope.  He was three times Alberta champion and has lost but twice in 41 appearances."

      The medal has an Alberta shield, with Amateur Athletic Uniion of Canada - Championships written around the edge.  Also 'Boxing 1940' which appears to have been engraved on an already prepared medal.

      On the other side : B. McDonald, 126lbs Open, Calgary.

      The medal was from Birks but is in a J Vair Anderson box.

      Sharna believes that he is an old boyfriend of her mothers, it isn't her father.  She feels very strongly that the medal etc. should go back to Bert McDonald and/or his family and has attempted contacting McDonalds by using '411' on the telephone and had no idea how else to look.   I suggested that we put this out to the expertise of the AFHS membership and dist-gen participants.

      We look to you, my friends, do any of you know McDonalds out of Camrose?  How do you suggest she continue her search and where?

      We really hope you can help.

      Thank you.

      Millie Drinkwater

      605-2572.