2190RE: Santa needs your help because my growing database is outgrowing my genealogical software

  • Judith Rempel
    Dec 4, 2003
      The filesize capacities are one reason that the Mennonite GRANDMA
      (Genealogical Register ANd Database of Mennonite Ancestors) project doesn't
      employ FTM. It recommends BK6 or Legacy.

      Legacy has the advantage of true merging ability (and is generally a more
      powerful tool), but data entry is painfully slow because of the amount of
      dialogue boxes that one has to go through.

      BK has the advantage of being quicker to learn, has a large number of
      suitable analytical and reporting tools, and very importantly CHECKS THE
      DATABASE each time you try to enter a new person. It offers up a list of
      persons who match the names (first five characters of first and last names),
      in birthdate order. The latter is incredibly important if you have name
      combinations that repeat in large numbers as we do in the Mennonite
      community. Your cultural experience may be the same.

      Both can handle GRANDMA - which now is a file of almost 800,000 names.

      I believe both are XP compatible.

      Above are personal experiences - am sure the gen sig will have additional
      thoughts/recommendations and may well want to finesse some of the factual
      comments above.

      am cc'ing the Computer sig tips group too.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      judith@...

      and