1962RE: Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

    Sep 5, 2003
      I am well aware of the type of pop-ups you (the article) talk(s) about.
      Theory is fine except when it doesn't work. I have a router and yet I find
      these messages on my screen when I have not been on the Internet or had the
      web-browser open. The ISP claims it has a firewall. It must be pretty weak
      because it does not block these things nor does it block viruses. Thus I
      installed a separate firewall software. I found it protects your system by
      closing the ports. Even disabling the firewall and virus checker during
      installation of software and hardware did not "open" the ports. They were
      permanently blocked and regular methods of opening the ports failed.

      It was beyond my ken to figure out a solution so I hired an expert. It took
      him quite awhile and was only after he contacted the firewall provider that
      he was given the three pages of instructions that worked. After he opened
      the ports using these instructions, I could re-install software except for
      one item and all hardware except for two items, which I am still working on
      with the manufacturers. I had both hardware items installed before I
      installed the firewall but now even after opening the ports, I cannot
      reinstall the hardware (even the expert tried and failed until I decided we
      should stop trying). Since then I obtained three pages of instructions from
      the manufacturer of one of them but have not had time to deal with it yet.
      The other one I can live without if I have to but the first one is important
      for part of my business.

      The one software program that will not reinstall was running fine before the
      ports were blocked except on the PC running Windows 98. The other PCs have
      Windows 2000 and after the addition of the firewall software (even after its
      removal and opening of the ports) it will not install properly even after
      following the lengthy instructions from the software company. Like the
      hardware it had been installed and working properly before the firewall
      software was first installed.

      So theory is great but it isn't always reality.

      Xenia