      Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:57 AM
      Subject: Re: Ontario Divorce Records

      Divorce was very rare in Canada in those days.  Ontario divorces were handled as Private Members' Bills in the House of Commons.  You can check them at the law library in the Court House downtown.  The reference librarians can show you where the Private Acts are in the Statutes of Canada, year by year.  As I recall they are close to the windows on the east side of the library in the row of books facing the south side of the area with  tables.  They are in beige volumes entitled "Statutes of Canada" and the year(s).

      Lois Sparling

      Joanne Elford wrote:
      Hello,

      Does anybody know how to get divorce records from Ontario?

      I'm looking for my g-g-grandmother. She is listed with her husband and three children in the 1891 census in Tilbury, Ontario. The 1901 census shows her husband and children living with other family members, but I can't find her. I believe they divorced sometime around 1893. She must of remarried or moved because nobody ever heard from her again. Not even her children.

      Any ideas???

      Joanne

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic