147Re: FTM #7

  • Wendy Hamilton
    Aug 19, 2002
      Hi Bev,

      Just saw your query. I have FTM #7 and, last week, I tried to print a list
      of all individuals on the database. What I ended up doing was a custom
      report, similar to what Elizabeth recommended to you. I selected name,
      birth date, birth location, death date, death location and spouse. The
      query generated, 1258 individuals in the custom report. Instead of printing
      the report, I copied and pasted it into an excel spreadsheet. I used the
      spreadsheet to sort the data..

      I then generated a Kinship Report for myself and also copied/pasted it into
      an excel spreadsheet. The kinship query generated 1114 individuals. It was
      interesting to sort by relationship: all 1st cousins, 1st once removed,
      grandmothers, great grandmothers etc.

      I generated both reports to see how many individuals I have versus those
      related. Also because I wanted more information about individuals than I
      could get from the kinship report as I could not customise it.

      I found that using the custom report and spreadsheet combination very
      useful. A printed "All Individual Report" is a great reference to have on
      hand when visiting relatives. I also sorted one report into birth location
      as I'm often asked how many relatives in Australia, Scotland, etc. I also
      used the custom report/spreadsheet for identifying and separating blank
      fields, rather than getting them all together in the Data Error Report.

      Please email me off-list if you would like to discuss this topic in more
      detail.
      Regards,
      Wendy Hamilton