Re: [PakistanAffairs] Re: Taliban Ideology in N.W. Provinces#3

  • Shaikh Hyder
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
      Is there a little autonomy for provinces or they should follow what Musharraf or his thug Aziz tells?
      The provincial assemblies have to look after the demands of their constituencies, so what is wrong with that?
      Is it wise for them also to follow what is dictated to them from outside the country like Musharraf jumps at the commands of his masters in Washington?
      Please live and let others also live and if you don't like one province then go to the other and do something useful for yourself and your country. Don't always indulge in destructive criticism.
      If you don't like MMA, then vote for ML, PPP, MQM and the corrupt waderas and generals.

      Jimmy Jumshade <jimmybug@...> wrote:
      Well, since it's a "free Global world" & there is apple-pie & Democracy imposed thru bombing/missiling/sanctioning/threatening/blockading & starving.................why the heck should it be anybody's problem if somebody wants to follow Taliban-way-of-life??!!
      I mean, if I want to be a Mormon/Amish/Baptist....it should be my choice if powers that be, truely support freedom in the real sense..................but they do not. This "Freedom" gimmick is just that: a bloody gimmick.

      Jimmy Jumshade <jimmybug@...> wrote:
      Well, the real point is that the music/concerts take place out of MMA's jurisdiction.

      sarfraz hayat <saffyhuk@...> wrote:

      actually  what  mos of these articles  say is un true.....concerts  do still take place  especially in the cantonments where MMA policies have 0 influence...

      the MMA wre very zealous at first....but now they juast want to keep their power ..99#5 of these  have never  even dreamt of these politicla priviliges before...

      Jimmy Jumshade <jimmybug@...> wrote:
      Well, if the people of NWFP prefer, by choice an ideology, life-style, way of life like the Taliban; so be it. It is none of anybody's business except people of NWFP. If they do not like "Talibanism" then next election they should vote out of power the Religious Parties, who are ruling NWFP today.
      'Talibanism' is an idea.........a Religious Sect, cult & no amount of bombs/missiles can destroy/eliminate an idea.....................

      gac4233@... wrote:

      Daily Times - August 30, 2004

      Taliban-like policies in NWFP loom large

      PESHAWAR: Cinemas are barred from hoisting movie
      billboards and shopkeepers are afraid to display
      posters featuring women in Peshawar.
      The city's only state-run theatre long ago closed
      its doors to singers, dancers and musicians, who
      are banned from holding public concerts because
      the ruling religious alliance in the North West
      Frontier Province (NWFP) considers it against
      Islam.
      Undeterred by allegations it is following in the
      footsteps of the ousted Afghan Taliban militia,
      the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) coalition
      government is bolstering efforts to enforce Islam
      in every sphere of public life.
      Government employees are being "encouraged" to go
      to mosques to pray, and shopkeepers have been
      persuaded to keep businesses closed during prayer
      time, the latest edicts say. "It's our goal to
      mould the society according to Islam," said Asif
      Iqbal Daudzai, the provincial information
      minister. "But we do not use force. We only
      persuade and motivate the people."
      The province has also made it mandatory for new
      public and private buildings to allocate space
      for a mosque. But human rights activists and
      political opponents complain that the religious
      alliance is trying to "Talibanise" the province.
      "This is the Pakistani edition of
      Talibanisation," said Afrasiab Khattak, a
      prominent human rights activist. Malik Zafar
      Azam, a senior MMA minister, said promoting
      virtue and curbing vice was the government's
      responsibility. The MMA's agenda includes the
      segregation of women and curbing what it calls
      vices of dance and music, as well as obscenity
      and vulgarity. Gulzar Alam, a Pashto-language
      singer, said he was beaten and thrown in prison
      for singing in a public programme. "I can't hold
      concerts now. Music and poetry is part of our
      culture, but they are too narrow-minded to
      appreciate it. Hundreds of artists and their
      families have been hit," he added. reuters

      N. B. The moderators or the listowner do not necessarily subscribe
      to the views expressed by the embers. To subscribe or
      unsubscribe you may send blank email.
      Subscribe:    pakistanpost-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Mail - Now with 25x more storage than before!

      Pakistan Affairs is an online current affairs digest about Pakistan.
      You can post your views and ask questions to other learned members of the mail list.
      If you want to well aware of Muslims and Ummah affairs , please join
      any of our listed below mail lists of Muslims Foundation just by clicking.

      MuslimMedia2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      KashmirAffairs2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      PakThinkTank-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      MuslimsAffairs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      WorldMedia2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      IslamabadAffairs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      AfghanistanTimes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      ArabTimes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Pakistan-Forum-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      HRFoundation-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      PakMedia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
          So you should be happy, punjabis and urdu wallas muhajirs should be happy and come together at lest on common ground of music artists. I don't know why they banned only pashtu music, may be they want pathans to learn martial arts and liberate Pakistan from American and Pakistani army thugs ruling the country. However a good news from Malaysia's new government:
            KUALA LUMPUR, Sept. 2 (Xinhuanet) -- Former Deputy Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim was freed Thursday after nearly six years in jail asthe Malaysia Federal Court upheld his appeal against conviction for sodomy.

              Federal Court judges Abdul Hamid Mohamad, Paduka Rahmah Hussainand Baharuddin Shah Tengku Mahmud decided with a 2-1 majority to overturn Anwar's conviction and nine-year jail sentence imposed byKuala Lumpur High Court on Aug. 2, 2000.

              The court also overturned the conviction and six-year jail sentence on Anwar's adopted brother, Sukma Darmawan Sasmitaat Madja.

              Anwar, 57, and his adopted brother were found guilty by Kuala Lumpur High Court of sodomizing Anwar's family driver, Azizan Abu Bakar, at Sukma's Tivoli Villa apartment in affluent Bangsar in Kuala Lumpur between January and March 1993.

              Anwar was also sentenced on April 14, 1999, to six years' jail on four counts of corruption relating to abuse of power by interfering in police investigations into allegations of sexual misconduct.

              In an 88-page judgment, Justice Abdul Hamid said the prosecution had failed to prove the case against Anwar and Sukma beyond reasonable doubt as required by the law on admissible evidence and in accordance with established principles of law.

              The justice said the essential part of the offense had not beenproven by the prosecution as Azizan, being the only source for thedate of the offense, showed inconsistency and contradiction when giving evidence and was, therefore, not a reliable source.

              Anwar went home as a free man. He arrived at his house in Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur, in the afternoon, escorted by two police outriders. Some 300 supporters were there to greet him.

              The politician, who had difficulty in walking, was carried by two persons into his house.

              Speaking to reporters when he arrived at his house, Anwar said,"this is a good start and it gives hope for a more credible justice system. I am also grateful to the two judges that had the strength and resolve to rule in my favor."

              Anwar also singled out Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi forpraise, crediting him for allowing the judiciary to act in accordance with the law.

              "I hope the prime minister will defend the freedom of the judiciary because there are my friends who have also been convicted on political motives and evil intentions," he added.

              He disclosed that his immediate plan was to seek treatment in Munich, Germany, for urgent operation on his long standing spinal disc injury, which he said was aggravated by a police beating after his arrest in 1998.

              To his friends and supporters, Anwar said, "Wait till I return from my treatment and we shall plan for the future."

              "Once I return (from Germany), I will meet all opposition leaders, members of non-governmental organizations and reform supporters to plan the future," he said.

              Anwar's release from prison comes exactly six years after he was sacked from the cabinet. He became deputy prime minister in 1993 and was sacked in September 1998.

              Concerning the Federal Court's decision on the final appeal by the former deputy prime minister, Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said on Wednesday that the government would not interfere with the court's decision.

              Abdullah added that it was up to the judiciary to make a decision. Enditem

          sarfraz hayat <saffyhuk@...> wrote:
          the MMA  only  banned pashtu music artiss...punjabi and urdu perfomers have staged concerts in the cantonment.,....

          Jimmy Jumshade <jimmybug@...> wrote:
          This is not 'destructive criticism' at all....'constructive', as a matter of fact. If MMA are banning music, this & that, they are wrong, for it chokes/strangles the economy & infringes on personal freedom. This is the main problem when Religion is not seperated from affairs of the State.Banning of music, dancing & breathing is not under Musharraf's/Aziz orders........they are MMA stoopid tactics. Instead of concentrating on education & development, the idiots start banning anything which moves.

          And, in a Dictatorship, no matter how dressed up to look like Democracy; neither the country nor the Provinces have any 'autonomy'.or freedom. But the curse of such dictators is that they dictate to the country but Washington dictates to them, which means the poor countries have 2 Dictators upon them, one native & the other foreigners.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
            So Br. Jimmy I have two points from your letter to reply :
            (1)Music and (2) Dictatorship.
            (1) Music has no influence on economy and vice versa.
            (2) Dictatorship. The fighters against double dictators are mainly waged by Pushtoons, MMA, Taliban and they are together. So when some one is fighting the enemies of Pakistan and others are sitting, laughting or criticising them (MMA, Pushtoons, etc.) is bad and a cowardly act. I am sure all will agree. MMA have hardly been for the last few years. Please give them a chance, please encourage them, please help them and don't cut them down.
            Thank you.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
              Dear sarfraz, like all civilized nations we should give each party support of full term of 5 years. We cannot judge MMA before their term is finished' as corrupt people. Surely we can judge PPP, MQM, ML, because they have been tried for the last twenty years and found to be utterly corrupt, thieves and traitors. Now of the MMA and Jamat-e-Islami, only the former has about 50% control in the provinces of Baluchistan and NWFP, the blance of 50% of power is in the hands of the governor appointed by dictator/traitor - Musharraf. So at the end of the term of 5 years MMA can be declared as partly successful/failure. As for Jamat, it has no ministry in any province but a supporter of MMA, so the Jamat is completely absolved from any  charge of corruption and mal-practices. On the credit side of Jamat and MMA is a noble task of struggling to oust the US/Musharraf' from power and liberate Pakistan. All other parties are either bootlickers of the west or their agents.

              sarfraz hayat <saffyhuk@...> wrote:
              dear shaikh

              had the MMA been corruption and inefficnecy free    there would be nothing to complain about.........maulana fazul rehman is a chamelon  and  good friend of benazir, qazi hussian acts anti american but when it comes to his children studying abroad......he d leap at the chance....also Jamt islami were anti Taliban at first but then realised alot of  votes were to be secured from anti-americanism........they have had no policies to run the province....tearing down billboards and and banning  pashtu artists and entertainers are no tpolicies  a state or area should have...they should deal with poverty, unemployment , healt, edcuation  etc....

              the MMA are not the torch bearers  of Islam...they are the torch bearers of power hungry thieves.....they have consisently shown double standards  and I think it should be illegal for Islam to be used in this double standard way.....

              all the parties are the same.....tey will not improve on the issue sthat really matter....such as health, education, enviornment, poverty, employment ........when is akistan going to fll heartedly tackle these issues?

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Then who do you want? The old thieving clans of PPP, ML, MQM, the waderas and the corrupt generals and traitors like Musharraf?

                  sarfraz hayat <saffyhuk@...> wrote:
                  Dear Shaikh

                  Dont be blinded by their rhetoric....see these people   for wat they really  are.......they donthave  to  have stayed the full 5 years t be judged  in anyway  ........their presdent record speaks volumes.....

                  The  religious parties are the most immoral as they sell the name of religiobn very chealy.....they buse i the most....