TORAH SCROLLS SAME

  • Gerald Fry
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004

      TORAH SCROLL TODAY IS THE SAME AS 3,500 YEARS AGO

      To write one, it takes approximately 2,000 hours – a year of meticulous dedication. The meticulous process includes these following guidelines:

      • A Torah Scroll is disqualified if even a single letter is added.
      • A Torah Scroll is disqualified if even a single letter is deleted.
      • The scribe must be a learned, pious Jew, who has undergone special training and certification.
      • All materials (parchment, ink, quill) must conform to strict specifications, and be prepared specifically for the purpose of writing a Torah Scroll.
      • The scribe may not write even one letter into a Torah Scroll by heart. Rather, he must have a second, kosher scroll opened before him at all times.
      • The scribe must pronounce every word out loud before copying it from the correct text.
      • Every letter must have sufficient white space surrounding it. If one letter touched another in any spot, it invalidates the entire scroll.
      • If a single letter was so marred that it cannot be read at all, or resembles another letter (whether the defect is in the writing, or is due to a hole, tear or smudge), this invalidates the entire scroll. Each letter must be sufficiently legible so that even an ordinary schoolchild could distinguish it from other, similar letters.
      • The scribe must put precise space between words, so that one word will not look like two words, or two words look like one word.
      • The scribe must not alter the design of the sections, and must conform to particular line-lengths and paragraph configurations.
      • A Torah Scroll in which any mistake has been found, cannot be used, and must be fixed within 30 days, or buried.

      God gave Torah to mankind via Moses and His chosen people, the Jews -- to receive and maintain throughout eternity. Torah is available today EXACTLY as recorded 3,300+ years ago -- in the language that God used to communicate it to mankind -- 3,000,000 people saw & heard, a NATIONAL REVELATION God, via Torah, states that nothing may add to or take away from Torah. (Deuteronomy 4:2 and repeated in 13:1).

      God wants Torah to stand for all eternity as it was given.

      "O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!" (Jeremiah 16.19)