Help end Europe testing chemicals on millions of animals

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 3:40 PM
      All European Citizens in Discuss Animal Rights

      1st of June 2008 was a key date for the New European Chemical Testing
      Policy called REACH. The European Chemicals Agency which manages the
      implementation of this legislation became fully operational. Around
      30,000 chemicals will be pre-registered at the European Chemicals
      Agency ( ECHA ) between the 1st June and 1st December 2008. The
      programme which intends to test thousands of substances on millions
      of animals in Europe has reached a critical stage.

      REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & restriction of
      CHemicals) controls the use of chemicals throughout the EU. In 2005
      the number of animal experiments in the EU was 12 million, a
      significant percentage of these to satisfy safety regulations, and
      this is unacceptably high. It is in our own interest as well as the
      animals that the testing of these chemicals is by the latest methods
      based on human-biology. This is the surest way of guaranteeing that
      the most toxic chemicals are found and banned.

      With the law that controls all animal experimentation in Europe,
      Directive 86/609, under review there was never a more crucial time to
      insist that the European parliament does all it can to replace
      outdated animal testing with modern alternatives. Some of the animal
      tests have been used for 60 years and it is not acceptable that they
      are still the main method of safeguarding our health and environment
      from dangerous chemicals.

      What can be done?

      It is in all our interest to insist that the chemicals we use are
      tested as thoroughly as possible with the latest technology
      available. Animal testing must be replaced with validated
      alternatives. Alternatives exist which still await validation and
      research for more is promising but lacks investment. Please contact
      your MEPs and urge them to support at every opportunity increased
      investment in modern non-animal alternatives and their validation at
      the earliest opportunity. The new European Chemical Testing Policy,
      REACH, and the review of Directive 86/609 must have this principle as
      paramount in all future testing of chemicals in Europe.

      For contact details of your MEPs visit
      http://www.europarl.europa.eu

      For further information on the above matters:-
      http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/reach/reach_intro.htm
      http://www.eceae.org

      Thank You

      Tony