Fwd: YOUR HELP IS NEEDED! -The cats of Catskill Game Farm

  • nonhumanavenger@animalrightsveganprinces
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: PeterMuller@...
      Sent: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 11:08 AM
      Subject: YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!

      We are in the throes of getting our funding together to get the cats out of Catskill Game Farm ; we still need some help; the image you see is the black panther that’ll move to the sanctuary soon. We continue to get good local media coverage. Please circulate the appeal. If you send to an individual fill in his/her name after “Dear ” unless all your friends are named “Harry.” Thanks for your assistance. Peter Dear Harry, We’re reaching out to you because we know you care about animals and wildlife. The Catskill Game Farm’s three African lions, three mountain lions and one black leopard faced an uncertain future, until our organization, Wildlife Watch, was able to arrange for their transfer from the Catskill Game Farm to the Wildcat Sanctuary in Sandstone, MN. We’re in the process of fundraising within a limited time frame. The cats must be moved by mid-December! Both transportation funds and construction of their new home at the Sanctuary total $25,000. We’ve already raised about $8,000, but we have much more to go. We have the naming rights for the three African lions – and the Sanctuary has agreed that those names will be kept for the lions’ lifetime. The three highest donors will be able to name the lions. We are hopeful that you will be able to help these magnificent cats out. You can see a more complete article at our website: www.wildwatch.org – link to “Binocular” in the left margin and then click on the PDF file. The photo above was sent by one of our contributors who took it one week before the Game Farm closed. We’ll be releasing this photo next week along with some others. You are THE FIRST one to see this beautiful leopard. To make a contribution, you can click on the lion from the home page, or just contact me directly. Please let others know of the cats’ need. Thank you very much for any help you can offer at this time. It would make a good end-of the-year tax deduction!!! I hope things are going well. Best, Anne Anne Muller, President Wildlife Watch www.wildwatch.org 877-WILDHELP $25,000 fund drive to give Catskill Game Farm's big cats new home in Minnesota November 28, 2006 By Paul Brooks Times Herald-Record pbrooks@... (th-record.com)
      New Paltz — Save Kitty. Save Elfa.
      The Catskill Game Farm saga continues. The closure of the once-popular Catskill Game Farm last month left three African lions, three mountain lions and a black panther — with names like Kitty and Elfa — without a new home. Now, Wildlife Watch in New Paltz has arranged for them to spend their remaining days at the Wildcat Sanctuary in Sandstone, Minn. Neither the Game Farm nor the sanctuary are charging for the animals, according to Anne Muller, president of Wildlife Watch. The problem is that Wildlife Watch needs $25,000 to make this all happen. The organization needs to raise $5,000 to transport the animals to Minnesota and another $20,000 to erect the cats a shelter, said Muller. "If we do not come up with the money, the sanctuary will not be able to take them," Muller said. A deadline of Dec. 17 puts the fund drive on a tight schedule. The cat sanctuary has to have time to get construction of the cats' shelter under way before the Minnesota winter sets in, Muller said. Word is just getting out of the need for money to help the cats, Muller said, but already she has had some donations. "I just sort of jumped on it," said Howardena Pindell of New York City, who teaches at SUNY Stony Brook and is an animal-rights activist. She gave $1,000. "I was very much concerned about what had happened at the game park, that it fell apart like that, and the fact that these particular animals have the opportunity to have better homes," she said. "I just felt I should support the cause." Each of the three top donors will have the chance to name one of the wild cats, Muller said. The Wildcat Sanctuary is a not-for-profit that specializes in the long-term care of wild cats, many found abused or abandoned. It is not a public facility or zoo. The animals are not put on display, according to the organization's Web site. It passes muster with two national accredited wildlife sanctuary organizations, Muller said. For further information, contact Muller at Wildlife Watch, P.O. Box 562, New Paltz, 12561 or by calling 877-WILDHELP (877-945-3435).