horse slaughter-contact your Senator & Representatives and ask them to support these bills

  • Monet Mazzola
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2006
      this is a crosspost

      Kelly <kelly@...> wrote:
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Tom Durfee
      Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:53 PM

      Hi,

      My name is Tom Durfee and I, together with my wife Julia, own and
      operate The Laughing Horse Sanctuary a 501(c)3 non-profit equine rescue.

      I am asking your help in stopping our American horses from being
      slaughtered in three foreign owned slaughter houses in IL and TX.
      Their meat is being shipped overseas as a delicacy for the Italians,
      French, Japanese etc.

      This year over 120,000 healthy American horses have been slaughtered
      and they are not old crippled or blind horses. (It is against federal
      law to ship a blind or crippled horse). The slaughter industry will
      not take old skinny horses. The horses being slaughtered range in age
      from six months to thirteen years of age.

      If you think horse slaughter is wrong, or you just want more
      information on horse slaughter so you can make an informed decision
      about it please contact me. Polls across America show that 74%-90% of
      people are opposed to horses being slaughtered.

      Currently there are bills in the House (HR 503) and Senate (S 1915)
      that would ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the
      transport of horseflesh or live horses out of the country for the
      purpose of slaughter. HR 503 currently has 134 cosponsors.

      The Senate version of The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act
      (S1915) was introduced on Wednesday 26, of October and currently has
      10 cosponsors.

      Horse slaughter promotes theft, neglect, abuse and lowers the value of
      horses in general.

      Please contact me and I will explain why horse slaughter is so wrong
      in so many ways. Contact your Congressman and Senators and ask them to
      co-sponsor this important legislation.

      http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

      The Laughing Horse Sanctuary

      8317 Grassland Drive

      Sandy Level, VA 24161

      Phone 434-927-5298

      Fax 434-927-5534

      www.LaughingHorse.org

      Please cross post. Together we can end horse slaughter!!!!

      Information:

      http://www.horse-protection.org/

      The Animal Welfare Institute has just updated its color brochure (copy
      attached) on horse slaughter and copies are ready for distribution.
      If anyone is interested in obtaining some to distribute we are
      providing them for free. For large orders we do request that shipping
      fees be covered. Please contact me for details.

      An insert detailing the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (H.R.
      503) and what can be done to help pass this bill is also included.

      Thanks, Chris

      ******************
      Christopher J. Heyde
      Research Associate
      Animal Welfare Institute
      PO Box 3650
      Washington, DC 20027
      Tel: (703) 836-4300
      Fax: (703) 997-1134
      www.awionline.org

      http://www.marynash.org/

      A friend of all equines,

      Tom Durfee
      tom@...

      Animal traps Animal control Animal rights Animal right shirt Animal rights activists