Win $1000--Enter Animal Advocacy/ Vegetarianism/ Environmentalism Essay Contest

  • lantern_books
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2005
      Lantern Books is proud to announce our first annual essay contest. The aim of our essay
      competition is to allow new thinking to emerge on the key subjects of Lantern's publishing
      program and to encourage new voices to step forward to shape the debate of the future.
      Please read the rules and guidelines below.

      Subject
      We'd like essays to focus on the animal advocacy, vegetarian, or environmental
      movements.
      We encourage those wishing to enter to familiarize themselves with Lantern's core subject
      areas by exploring our website: www.lanternbooks.com.
      Judges will be looking for originality of vision, knowledge of the subject, skill in presenting
      an argument, and literary merit.
      Prizes

      $1000 first prize
      $500 second prize
      $250 third prize
      Winners will be announced on March 21, 2006.
      Prize money will be paid by check in US dollars.
      Winning essays may be published in the next Lantern catalogue, on the Lantern website,
      and in other venues (information will be forthcoming).
      How to Enter

      Essays should be no longer than 1500 words.
      Essays must be submitted by midnight on December 31, 2005.
      Anyone of any age can submit an essay from anywhere in the world, but all essays should
      be in standard English.
      Do not include your name, address, or other identifying information within the essay itself.
      This is to ensure that your essay will be judged anonymously.
      Essays should be submitted as an email attachment in rich text (.RTF) format or in
      Microsoft Word (.DOC) format and mailed to essay@....
      Please include the following information within the body of the email:
      Name
      Address
      Phone number
      Email address
      If you cannot email your essay, you may mail it double-spaced, double-sided to Lantern's
      address:
      Lantern Books
      Attn: Essay Competition
      One Union Square West, Suite 201
      New York, NY 10003
      Include your name, mailing address, email, and phone number in a separate cover letter
      included with your essay.

      For more information on competition rules and up-to-date announcements, visit http://
      lanternbooks.com/essay.php