AR Conference--NYC, July 9-10

  • boycott_ak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2005
      The Foundations of a Movement 2005:
      An Animal Rights Conference

      Join Friends of Animals, during the weekend of 9-10 July in New York
      City, where we'll get together to enjoy a Raw Food Demonstration
      from local New York chefs, and also get down to business addressing
      some of the most pressing matters in animal advocacy. We'll bring
      the dairy business into focus; we'll be talking about desperation
      and intimidation in animal advocacy, and getting beyond them. We'll
      discuss the questions arising in animal advocacy since the rise of
      anti-terror legislation. We'll introduce a new vegan cookbook,
      Dining with Friends. We'll be talking with lawyers, authors, and
      advocates for progressive ideas.

      When
      Saturday, July 9, 8:30am-5pm
      Sunday, July 10, 8:30am-4:30pm

      Where
      American Management Association Conference Center
      1601 Broadway at 48th Street New York, NY 10019

      Cost
      $75 for both days, Saturday & Sunday/paid in advance
      $50 for Saturday only/$35 for Sunday only
      $20 Student Rate for both days, Saturday & Sunday - with valid
      student ID

      www.friendsofanimals.org

      Panels and Speakers on:

      *Activism*
      Mainstreamer or innovator? Strategies of and for the next generation.
      Welfare and authority: The rise of intimidation tactics in animal
      protectionism.
      Public education through the Internet.
      Current legal issues of interest to activists.
      When good legislation goes bad: The high cost of false victory.

      *Feminism, Ecology, and Untangling the Threads of Domination*
      Treading lightly on the earth.
      Heterosexism, the concept of male violence, and hunting.
      Conservation and canned hunts.
      Animal rights vs. the dairy business.
      Of Mice and Men: Catharine MacKinnon's Feminist Fragment on Animal
      Rights.
      Rescue and respect: Are they compatible?

      *Diet*
      Cuisine for liberation.
      The pure vegetarian diet: Current knowledge about health and healing
      A raw food demonstration.

      Latest Confirmed Speakers Include:

      Mark Potok
      Editor, Intelligence Report, The Southern Poverty Law Center,
      Montgomery, AL

      Vicky Crosetti
      Executive Director, Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley,
      Knoxville, TN

      Christine Dorchak
      Vice President, GREY2K USA

      Priscilla Feral
      President, Friends of Animals

      Peter Galvin
      Conservation Director, Center for Biological Diversity

      Lee Hall
      Legal Director, Friends of Animals

      Daniel Hammer
      Staff Writer, Friends of Animals

      A. R. Hogan
      Science Journalist

      Loren Lockman
      Founder and Director of the Tanglewood Wellness Center, Frederick, MD

      Brian Luke
      Ecofeminist author

      Brad Miller
      National Director, The Humane Farming Association

      Nathan Searles
      Web Manager, Friends of Animals

      Jay Tutchton
      Environmental Law Clinical Partnership, University of Denver,
      College of Law

      Dr. Richard Twine
      Lancaster University, Bioethicist affliated with the Centre for the
      Economic and Social Aspects of Genomics (CESAGen), and the
      International Network on Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (FAB)

      Mickey Z
      Activist and author; columnist for Veg News

      https://friendsofanimals.org/the-foundations-of-a-
      movement/registration.html