New 'reality' show...bad idea for dogs

  • CC
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      We got this on another list I belong to-people are
      emailing and calling not only Animal Planet but also
      the Humane Society who apparently is endorsing such an
      astrosity. Permission to cross-post was given.
      Thanks for reading
      dee moscoso

      Call to action (sorry if you already know about this):

      Animal Planet is 'casting' for a new 'reality' show
      called "Who Gets the
      Dog?".

      Basically they pull a dog out of a shelter, shuffle it
      around for 3 days
      with 3 different families (24 hours each), and then
      somehow the dog is
      supposed to "pick" which family it wants to live with.
      The only
      safeguard it offers the dog is that "You must not have
      been CONVICTED
      (my caps) of (a) any crime that includes cruelty to
      animals, or (b) any
      felony under any jurisdiction in the United States or
      any other Country.
      And "You must be ready, willing and able to adopt and
      care for the dog
      involved in the production of the series."

      Here is the website:
      http://www.lmnotv.com/whogetsthedog/

      If you think that this is not the best thing to put a
      dog through for
      the sake of 'entertainment', please send a comment to
      them to let them
      know what a stupid idea this is and how inhumane it is
      to put a dog
      (particularly a shelter dog with who knows what having
      happened to end
      him up in a shelter in the first place) through this
      kind of stress and
      confusion. Can you imagine the health and behavior
      problems something
      like this could cause the "lucky dog", as they say on
      their website. I
      wonder if they would do this to a four year old foster
      child. And we all
      know that it's not likely to be dog savvy people who
      would do this. What
      happens to the dog after the show and the novelty has
      worn off with the
      family "required" to adopt the dog? And not being
      "convicted" of an
      animal crime is little reassurance since most animal
      abusers are never
      caught, much less convicted.

      Here is the form where you can let your feelings be
      known about this to
      Animal Planet at:
      http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

      Please spread the word.