Stop Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2003
      Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:27:22 -0800 (PST)
      From: Barbara Reeves
      <horse_rescue_net @ yahoo.com>(remove spaces)
      Subject: Stop Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

      I wanted to forward an email I sent out to people who signed the guestbook on the Seabiscuit web site. Please forward and cross-post as needed.

      Hello Seabiscuit Fan.

      You may not be aware of one sad fate of many beloved horses like Seabiscuit; Slaughter. Over 150 horses are slaughtered every day in the United States for human consumption. Their meat is exported to France, Belgium, Italy, and Japan to gourmet restaurants. You may have read a recent story of the great race horse Ferdinand. He was sent to a Japanese horse slaughter plant when he outlived his usefulness as a breeding stallion. Read more about his story: Ferdinand's Story - An Amazing Race Horse, now a Gourmet Dinner. Many stolen horses end up slaughtered as well. Slaughter is an easy way for horse thieves to turn stolen horses into quick cash.

      Horse slaughter is a tortuous fate. If you would like to read what horses go through during transport and slaughter go to: Slaughter; A Cruel Fate. This web page contains graphic details and photos. It may be disturbing to sensitive viewers.

      What can you do? There is a bill that is currently before congress that will end horse slaughter for human consumption. HR 857, The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, will make slaughtering horses for human consumption illegal in the Unites States. It will also make it illegal to transport horses across our borders or sell horses for the purpose of human consumption. I encourage you to write your representative and urge him or her to support HR 857 and become a co-sponsor. The bill currently has 152 co-sponsors in The House of Representatives, including many Texas representatives, where the slaughter plants are located. That number grows almost every day. To find your representative, as well as read a copy of the bill, visit: http://www.myhorsesite.com/petition/ There is also an anti-horse slaughter bill in the Illinois Senate. A horse slaughter house is being rebuilt in DeKalb, IL. For information on this bill go to: Illinois Horse Slaughter Plant - Information & How
      You Can Help. For more information on horse slaughter statistics, frequently asked questions, and general information, please visit: http://www.rescuenetwork.com

      Thank you for taking the time to read this email. If you have any questions on horse slaughter for human consumption, please feel free to ask.

      Barbara Reeves & Raymond Williams

      If you would like to receive future news and updates, please sign up for a free account at http://www.rescuenetwork.com or http://www.equinefriends.com and check the newsletter box. Newsletters are sent out on an occasional basis.

      Rita Fazio,

      Korea Animal Protection Society (KAPS)
      International Aid for Korean Animals (IAKA)

      Don't turn your back upon their pain, because it's hard to see.They have no other place to turn, They've only you and me.

      Do you Yahoo!?