Please, need your support!!

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      If you have not signed this one - please do so and forward on !
      Dear people,

      Please sign the petition <http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/841589646>

      I know a lot of people say they don't want to interfere with what happens in other countries and that we should focus on our own country, but the world has become so small because of news, internet, ways of travelling...

      Please take the time to read the following text about the senseless, brutal and very sadistic abuse and torturing which is practised here in Spain in the name of "tradition", "culture", "entertainment", "art" and even "religion".

      As Ghandi once said: "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated".

      Why should a small minority in Spain put so much shame on the rest of it's countrymen?!

      Did you know that:

      In Spain, after the hunting season, the dogs are hung by their owners in a tree. Their death is slow and painful. Why would they kill their faithful companion?
      Because this is a "cultural tradition" or "old custom" in Spain and because of bad laws the European Union allows this to happen!

      Did you know that:

      In many villages and towns in Spain they organise Fiesta's (feast) to honour the name day of a certain Saint (like the fiesta held in honour of San Fermin in Pamplona).
      In many of these Fiesta's the released bulls are chased in the streets by a crowd with sticks, whips and knifes. Ones the bull is surrounded by the villagers, it is tortured, most of the time until death. Legs are broken, the very sensitive horns are hit off, tails are ripped off etc.

      Here are some of the "Fiesta":

      "Toros de Fuego" (Fire Bulls) held in Medinacelli (Soria)

      This particular savagery consists in putting a kind of ball of pitch on both the horns of the bulls and setting fire to the balls (sometimes fireworks are used). The bulls are then released on the streets. These balls burn for hours, burning the horns, body and eyes, causing terrible suffering.
      Several times the bulls try to kill themselves against walls, due to the horrible pain.

      "Toros Enmaromado" (Bull with ropes) held in Benavente (Zamora)

      The bull is bound with ropes and dragged all over the village till he dies of exhaustion or by the cutting of his throat.

      "El toro de Vega" (Bull of Vega)

      This so called popular fiesta consists in chasing a bull with spears all over the village sticking them into his body until his death. Since the crowd think that the torture is not enough, they cut off his testicles while he is still alive.

      "El toro de Coria" (Bull of Coria)

      The bull walks and runs for hours in the streets while people throw darts at him. The men are aiming for the more sensitive parts of it's body like the nose, eyes and testicles. When he is too tired and weak from loss of blood to continue the escape, the villagers cut off his testicles while he is still alive.

      The lists goes on and on and on......

      Because these are "cultural traditions" or "old customs" in Spain and because of bad laws the European Union allows this to happen!

      Sometimes donkeys or other animals are used for the "entertainment".

      Did you know that:

      The bullfight organisers in Spain, Portugal and France say that it is a noble and beautiful way for the bull to die in an arena. They say it is an art and that it is beautiful for the "respected, loved and privileged" bull to die while the crowd is cheering and applauding!

      If you love and respect these living creatures why would you:

      give the bulls very salty water before the game to weaken them with diarrhoea
      cut up the horns very carefully(not to show) to the nerve so that the bull loses it's co-ordination during the game (very painful)
      put prickly glycerine into the eyes
      give him drugs to keep it calm
      give him, if he is too calm, electric shocks to it's testicles
      hit him very hard on the kidneys to weaken him (bags with sand are used, they don't leave any scars) before the game
      keep the bulls for hours in boxes in full sun where they only can stand before the game

      Then in the arena the bull is sadistically tortured to death with spears that cut like razors, hooks, sword and harpoons. Indeed a very "privileged" way to die!! Because this is a "cultural tradition" or "old custom" the European Union allows this to happen!

      Did you know that:

      It's common that the horses used during a bullfight get deeply wounded by the horns of the bulls, loosing their intestines and consequently dying. The horses, by nature are very frightened of the bulls, scream, so the vocal cords of these horses are cut, because the crowd doesn't want to hear the horse scream. It does happen that the horse which has been ripped open by the bull, is stitched up without anaesthetics and put back in the arena for the next fight.

      Did you know that:

      The breeders of the special bulls used for bullfights get subsidies from the European Union. Many of the European citizens don't know this is happening and for all the European Union citizens (the majority) who are strongly against these barbaric games to know where their tax money is going to is very frustrating!

      For more information go to www.thepetitionsite.com and click on:

      "European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition"

      or go directly to: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/841589646

      Please, I need you to help me spread the word. We need as many signatures as possible otherwise the politicians are not going to take any notice.

      VERY IMPORTANT, this is not a fight against the Spaniards, this is a fight to change our "medieval laws".
      It's important to have new laws to protect and respect our animals in the EU, but it's also very important to ban those traditions because of our children. What will our children become if they grow up thinking that sadistically torturing an animal to death is entertainment? Don't we want to teach our children to listen to their conscience?

      If you want any more information what-so-ever please contact me.

      Take care,

      Sandra Wijnveldt

      Creator of petition: "European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition"
      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/841589646

      Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today: