(WPN) State Amendments for Animals

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 11:13 AM
      Subject: [WPN] State Amendments for Animals

> [...]
      > cockfighting, creating penalties equivalent to those for dogfighting, in
      >
      > addition to making egregious acts of animal abuse a felony. Yet
      > opponents of the act, led by the Arkansas Farm Bureau, wrongly portrayed
      >
      > the act as an extremist measure that would have outlawed animal research
      >
      > and other animal use industries.
      >
      > FLORIDA: Amendment 10 -- VICTORY -- 55% to 45%. The first measure ever
      > to be adopted in the United States to ban the confinement of animals on
      > factory farms, Amendment 10 bans the caging of pigs in gestation crates
      > -- tiny, two foot by seven foot cages in which pregnant pigs are housed
      > for almost all of their dismal existence. The crates are so small that
      > confined pigs can't even turn around. Years of this tortured life leads
      >
      > to a spate of physical and psychological ailments. With the passage of
      > Amendment 10, these intelligent animals will be spared the agony of
      > gestation crates, and giant hog farms may be discouraged from taking up
      > residence in Florida.
      >
      > GEORGIA: Amendment 6 -- VICTORY -- 71% to 29%. The approval of
      > Amendment 6, to create a special spay/neuter license plate, will bring
      > sorely-needed funds to spay/ neuter programs. Money from the sales of
      > the special "animal-friendly" license plates will subsidize low-cost
      > companion animal sterilization programs in the state, preventing the
      > birth and ultimate euthanasia of tens of thousands of unwanted cats and
      > dogs. Georgia joins nineteen other states that already have a special
      > animal-friendly license plate and, like them, Georgia will help raise
      > millions of dollars to combat the problem of companion animal
      > overpopulation and the suffering it causes.
      >
      > OKLAHOMA: State Question 687 -- VICTORY -- 56% to 44%. SQ 687 passed
      > easily, making Oklahoma the 48th state to ban the cruel practice of
      > cockfighting. Only Louisiana and a few counties in New Mexico remain!
      > Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating, in endorsing SQ 687, has stated,
      > "Cockfighting is cruel; it promotes illegal gambling and it is simply
      > embarrassing to Oklahoma to be seen as one of only a tiny handful of
      > locations outside of the Third World where this activity is legal." With
      >
      > this important victory, the people of Oklahoma can proudly say they do
      > not allow the brutal sport of cockfighting in their state, and they have
      >
      > established stiff felony penalties for cockfighting violations.
      >
      > OKLAHOMA: State Question 698 -- VICTORY -- 46% to 54%. The defeat of SQ
      >
      > 687, an anti-animal measure, is an important victory for the animals.
      > Denounced by the Daily Oklahoman as "shameful" and "dishonest," this
      > measure would have amended the Oklahoma Constitution to require nearly
      > twice the number of signatures to qualify an animal protection measure
      > for the ballot. With the rejection of SQ 698, Oklahomans who care about
      > animals now retain the same access to the legislative process that is
      > enjoyed by the farm bureau and other groups who profit from the

      Colleen Klaum

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
        I can't speak for the props in other states, but I live in AZ. This
        prop was supported by several dog loving groups as well as teh
        greyhound rescue. I don't think you know what you are celebrating.
        This prop failed not becuase of the dog issue but becuase there was
        another prop on the ballot that did more for the indian tribes in the
        state and for Arizonans. Also, this prop had nothing to do with
        expanding racing, just gambling in the dog and horse tracks. In fact
        it may have helped the pressure put on the racing animals by helpping
        bring a new kind of revenue to the business.
        Things aren't always black and white.