LETTER: PA Game Commission's Pro-Kill Policy

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2002
      From The AnimalSpirit Newsletter: 08/23/02

      SOURCE: humanelines@... (hsus.org), HUMANElines, Issue 207, 8/7/02

      CONTACT:

      Mr. Vernon Ross, Executive Director
      Pennsylvania Game Commission
      2001 Elmerton Ave.
      Harrisburg, PA 17110
      Email: vross@... (state.pa.us)

      SEND COPY TO:
      Email: pgccomments@... (state.pa.us)
      Email: gfeaser@... (state.pa.us)

      SAMPLE LETTER:

      Allow licensed wildlife rehabilitation centers to do their jobs

      Mr. Ross:

      Please accept this letter as a petition opposing the Pennsylvania Game Commission's (PGC) memo to its Wildlife Conservation Officers instructing them to kill orphaned wildlife, rather than allowing the baby animals to go to any one of the 50 licensed wildlife rehabilitation centers in the state.

      This new policy prohibits citizens from rescuing orphaned wildlife under any circumstances, even if the mother is known to be dead and the citizen plans to transport the animal to a wildlife rehabilitator himself. Not only is this policy cruel, but it can also backfire. Once people realize that orphaned wildlife will be killed, they are very likely to hide those animals in their homes and try to raise them themselves. Having untold numbers of baby wild animals being kept by many well-meaning, but unqualified and ill-equipped, people will put both animals and the general public at risk.

      Every year, licensed wildlife rehabilitation centers take in countless baby wild animals who are orphaned after their mothers are killed by human actions such as vehicle strikes, hunting, or ´┐Żnuisance´┐Ż wildlife control. Please allow these rehabbers to do what they do best -- save lives.

      Sincerely,

      cc: pgccomments@...
      gfeaser@...

      Colleen Klaum