Dawn Watch

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2002
      ABC World News Tonight has been doing a beautiful job covering animal issues lately. Steve Wise, author of "Rattling the Cage" and the newly released "Drawing the Line: Science and the Case for Animal Rights" was interviewed last week for a piece which will air on the show on Wednesday, May 22. It will cover the fight for legal rights for animals.

      There have been animal friendly pieces on the show both Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, May 20, World News Tonight covered the dangers faced by polar bears due to global warming. On Tuesday, May 21 they covered the unfortunate media frenzy regarding shark attacks. That story can be found on the web at:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/sharks020521.html

      You can read in depth coverage, and there is a spot where you can click on "video" and watch the story as America saw it on the evening news. This shorter version, entitled "Defending the Sharks," made it clear that people are a danger to sharks, not vice versa.

      We hear Robert Hueter, director of the Center for Shark Research at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, complaining about the recent media overreaction to shark attacks:
      "What worries me is for the first time in my career since the movie Jaws came out in 1975, I began to hear from the public, 'Why do we need sharks - What good are they?'"

      The reporter informs us that the "Jaws" portrayal of sharks pursuing people is fiction. "In fact, say biologists, sharks kill an average of ten people a year while people kill 100 million sharks."

      "The real story is not shark bites man but man bites shark."

      The above quote comes from George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville in Florida.

      In a short space of time there were a few great quotes from him, including, "Each year coconuts falling from trees will kill 150 people worldwide and each year sharks kill ten people worldwide."

      The reporter also told us that biologists say, "If you have gone swimming in the ocean, chances are a shark swam peacefully fifteen feet from you and you never knew it."

      The TV news story made it clear that our fear of sharks is based on hysteria rather than fact and that sharks are hated and victimized as a result.

      Please thank ABC World News Tonight for yet another animal friendly story. A good viewer response will encourage more.

      ABC News takes feedback at:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/WNT_newemail_form.html

      Here's a link for AOLers:
      <A HREF="Feedback'>http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/WNT_newemail_form.html">Feedback to World News Tonight</A>

      Yours and the animals',
      Karen Dawn
      www.DawnWatch.com

      (DawnWatch is an animal advocacy media watch that looks at animal issues in the media and facilitates one-click responses to the relevant media outlets. You can learn more about it at www.DawnWatch.com. To subscribe to DawnWatch, email KarenDawn@... and tell me you'd like to receive alerts. If at any time you find DawnWatch is not for you, just let me know via email and I'll take you off the subscriber list immediately. If you forward or reprint DawnWatch alerts, please do so unedited and include this tag line.)

      "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts, and warmth to our souls" Colleen Klaum