Fwd: Fw: Ohio dogs need your help!!!

  • Kathy Welsh
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2002
      Please OPPOSE the gas chamber and shooting as

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • rootsid
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2002
        I'm not familiar with the gas that is used so I cannot comment on
        that practice. However; shooting an animal in the head is a very
        humane way of killing it, if done properly the animal dies almost
        instantly.
        --- In discussanimalrights@y..., Kathy Welsh <chowlover44622@y...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > not consistently separated to prevent fighting,
        > > breeding and spread of disease and parasites. The
        > > outside holding areas are concrete and chain-link.
        > > Two of the smaller areas have inside shelter
        > > (inside the non-climate controlled building) of
        > > small solid wooden, bin-type structures with hinged
        > > lids...wooden boxes. The third smaller holding area
        > > has no inside shelter. It contains a medium sized
        > > plastic dog house for shelter. There are NO
        > > shelter hours.
        > >
        > > HSUS has visited and made recommendations and told
        > > the county commissioners they couldn't kill animals
        > > in this way. Apparently, they didn't listen well
        > > enough. Mercer County needs to get the message.
        > > Please contact the following officials and request
        > > that the gassing stop immediately and that
        > > improvements be made at the pound. Hours must be
        > > set so residents can claim and adopt dogs.

      • Colleen Klaum
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2002
          Shooting a dog/cat in the head is a humane way of controlling the population, I don't think so. It's wrong. How would you like to be shot in the head if someone thought that the human population had to be controlled? Maybe you would even volunteer, I don't think so. Colleen

          rootsid <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I'm not familiar with the gas that is used so I cannot comment on
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > not consistently separated to prevent fighting,
          > > breeding and spread of disease and parasites. The
          > > outside holding areas are concrete and chain-link.
          > > Two of the smaller areas have inside shelter
          > > (inside the non-climate controlled building) of
          > > small solid wooden, bin-type structures with hinged
          > > lids...wooden boxes. The third smaller holding area
          > > has no inside shelter. It contains a medium sized
          > > plastic dog house for shelter. There are NO
          > > shelter hours.
          > >
          > > HSUS has visited and made recommendations and told
          > > the county commissioners they couldn't kill animals
          > > in this way. Apparently, they didn't listen well
          > > enough. Mercer County needs to get the message.
          > > Please contact the following officials and request
          > > that the gassing stop immediately and that
          > > improvements be made at the pound. Hours must be
          > > set so residents can claim and adopt dogs.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705082948:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf";var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705082948:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif";var lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;on error resume nextSub banner_click_lrec_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args)call banner_click_lrec_DoFSCommand(command, args)end sub

          "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts, and warmth to our souls" Colleen Klaum

        • rootsid
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2002
            What a ridiculous statement, they are dogs they aren't human. There
            is a vast difference.
            --- In discussanimalrights@y..., Colleen Klaum <wildfawn1@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Fax: (614) 644-9494

            > > http://health.yahoo.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            > var
            lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egrou
            pweb/S=1705082948:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessm
            edical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var
            lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
            /flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf";var
            lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=eg
            roupweb/S=1705082948:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullacc
            essmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var
            lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
            /flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif";var lrec_width=300;var
            lrec_height=250;on error resume nextSub banner_click_lrec_FSCommand
            (ByVal command, ByVal args)call banner_click_lrec_DoFSCommand

            Service.

            > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
            and warmth to our souls" Colleen Klaum

          • chowlover44622
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2002
              However; shooting an animal in the head is a very
              > humane way of killing it, if done properly the animal dies almost
              > instantly.

              I can't believe what I have just read! You are barbaric and not an
              animal advocate!!! Virtually every major animal protection
              organization in the country, as well as the American
              Veterinary Medical Association, advocates intravenous injection of
              sodium pentobarbital. Not shooting or gas.

              Shooting does not always kill the animal instantly. There was video
              taken of the mass grave site that was on the news showing that some
              of those dogs did not appear to be dead when they were buried. It was
              noted that some of them were half out of the grave & the track marks
              of their digging.

              The use of carbon monoxide chambers for killing animals is a barbaric
              and far less humane method of euthanasia than lethal injection of
              sodium pentobarbital. Euthanasia by carbon monoxide is slower than
              lethal injection, and the machines have been known to malfunction. If
              the carbon monoxide chamber malfunctions or is improperly used, death
              can take up to twenty minutes, while death by injection is almost
              instantaneous. It is known that animals killed in gas chambers
              suffer greatly as they struggle for air. The gas irritates their
              eyes and noses. It is an extremely cruel and inhumane method of
              euthanasia.

              Carbon monoxide can also be hazardous to shelter staff. Repeated
              exposure to the gas, even at
              low levels, can result in a variety of long-term human health
              problems, including cancer,
              infertility, and heart disease. Cost analyses of the two methods has
              shown that the cost of lethal
              injection is slightly less per animal than carbon monoxide.

              Kathy
            • Colleen Klaum
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2002
                The only difference is the dogs/cats can't speak, tell you to stop. But they do have feelings. Colleen

                rootsid <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: What a ridiculous statement, they are dogs they aren't human. There

                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2002
                  What would have lead you to believe that I'm an "animal advocate"?
                  And I did say shooting was humane if done properly. Almost any
                  animal will die instantly if shot at the base of the skull, even with
                  a low power round like a .22 Long Rifle. On the occassions that's
                  I've needed to put down a cat or dog that's the method I've used and
                  it's quite effective. It also works on larger animals though a
                  larger caliber weapon might be advisable to ensure proper penetration.

                  --- In discussanimalrights@y..., "chowlover44622"
                  <chowlover44622@y...> wrote:
                  > However; shooting an animal in the head is a very
                  > > humane way of killing it, if done properly the animal dies almost
                  > > instantly.
                  >
                  > I can't believe what I have just read! You are barbaric and not an
                  > animal advocate!!! Virtually every major animal protection
                  > organization in the country, as well as the American
                  > Veterinary Medical Association, advocates intravenous injection of
                  > sodium pentobarbital. Not shooting or gas.
                  >
                  > Shooting does not always kill the animal instantly. There was video
                  > taken of the mass grave site that was on the news showing that some
                  > of those dogs did not appear to be dead when they were buried. It
                  was
                  > noted that some of them were half out of the grave & the track
                  marks
                  > of their digging.
                  >
                  > The use of carbon monoxide chambers for killing animals is
                  a barbaric
                  > and far less humane method of euthanasia than lethal injection of
                  > sodium pentobarbital. Euthanasia by carbon monoxide is slower than
                  > lethal injection, and the machines have been known to malfunction.
                  If
                  > the carbon monoxide chamber malfunctions or is improperly used,
                  death
                  > can take up to twenty minutes, while death by injection is almost
                  > instantaneous. It is known that animals killed in gas chambers
                  > suffer greatly as they struggle for air. The gas irritates their
                  > eyes and noses. It is an extremely cruel and inhumane method of
                  > euthanasia.
                  >
                  > Carbon monoxide can also be hazardous to shelter staff. Repeated
                  > exposure to the gas, even at
                  > low levels, can result in a variety of long-term human health
                  > problems, including cancer,
                  > infertility, and heart disease. Cost analyses of the two methods
                  has
                  > shown that the cost of lethal
                  > injection is slightly less per animal than carbon monoxide.
                  >
                  > Kathy
                • rootsid
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2002
                    Feeling? I suppose that's right but what has that to do with the
                    fact that sometimes they need to be put down. It is a sad fact that
                    many owners don't control their animals and we end up with an over
                    abundance of dogs and cats with no homes.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2002
                      What about homeless people? That's different though, that would be murder. Enough said on my part. Colleen

                      rootsid <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Feeling? I suppose that's right but what has that to do with the

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2002
                        You should contact the AVMA, HSUS, and any number of other groups,
                        and ask them why shooting is wrong. The APL director in Cleveland
                        stated on TV that it is inhumane and not a sure way of killing the
                        animal instantly. Also watch the news story at:

                        http://www.actionnewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=765806&nav=0rd08lw6
                      • Colleen Klaum

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 7, 2002
                            Like guns? Sure I guess that's true, I do own a number of firearms.
                            They are a hobby like any other.