Re: new member

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 6:30 PM
      Hi Kathy,
      Great post. I really hope you all get this resolved. Where does the
      money/funding come from for the "shelter"/death camp? Is it funded
      privately or by the tax payers of the county?

      If the tax payers pay for it, then you should be able to get some
      kind of petition going to show the community is not supportive of the
      pounds methods. Also, this would help the local politicians
      understand there is public support for change and those responsible
      should have to answer to the tax payer for what they are doing.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 6:39 PM
        Also, Kathy are you sure these things are still going on? The Vinton
        County SHelter webpage looked okay. I visited it on the links page.
        They showed adoption dates and the cost of $30 not $5 to adopt.
        Obviously they aren't going to post things like we just shot puppies
        in the head earlier today, but it looked like a good group of
        volunteers trying to make a difference, not the cold blooded moron
        squad.

        Also this OHEA group is affiliated with PETA which makes me wonder if
        everything they are saying is legit. Have you verified the goings on
        at the shelter yourself?

        I don't like to jump into anything unless I know there is really a
        problem.
      • chowlover44622
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 6:43 PM
          Colleen:
          Thanks for sending it. I've sent out several letters my self & even
          tried to educate about the use of gas & the correlation between
          animal abuse & violence. I warned them if things didn't change that I
          would get the animal activist community involved. So I joined more
          groups tonight. I hope it works. We are hoping to expand the news
          coverage & put the pressure on.
          Thanks
          Kathy

          --- In discussanimalrights@y..., Colleen Klaum <wildfawn1@y...> wrote:

          > This has angered me and I have taken it upon myself and sent
          an email. I am hoping it will help. Colleen

          > Kathy Welsh <chowlover44622@y...> wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new to
          the group & need your help.
          > I write to you today with great concern for
          > the animals at the Vinton County Dog Pound in
          > McArthur, Ohio. The Dog Warden, Gary Barber, routinely
          > shoots dogs and puppies in the head. If the dogs are
          > not shot in the head, they are crammed up to 15 at a
          > time in a gas box. Also Barber does not open the
          > pound on the weekend, so the animals either go without
          > care, or every dog is killed on Friday morning. The
          > thought of using a gas chamber and shooting dogs in
          > the head reminds me very much of Auschwitz. This is
          > not a shelter -- it is just a concentration camp for
          > animals.
          > The Ohio Humane Education Association (OHEA) site:
          > http://www.ohiohumaneeducation.org/ to read about the
          > updates of Vinton County.
          > There has been local media coverage of the story & it
          > appeared that things were going to change. But the
          > Vinton County Commissioners appear to be dragging
          > their feet when it comes to making changes. After the
          > media coverage, the commissioners banned the
          > volunteers from the pound and would not allow anyone
          > to rescue any of the dogs for a week.
          > The commissioners have now appointed Gary Barber's
          > assistant as warden, although several other people
          > expressed an interest in the position. It has been
          > difficult to nail them down to a time that we can pick
          > up dogs for rescue groups, and when we have been there
          > to pick up dogs, we had to wait to see which dogs
          > other people wanted before taking any dogs out of the
          > pound. The pound is filthy and the dogs are kept in
          > kennels approximately 3'x 5' and seldom allowed out in
          > the fresh air. Now the commissioners are blaming
          > volunteers for embarrassing them and appear to want to
          > do their own thing. They still have not acknowledged
          > the proposal sent by OHEA and Cause for Paws. They
          > have ignored offers of help from OHEA, Cause for Paws,
          > and even the Humane Society of the United States
          > (HSUS), who has offered to come and help them get
          > organized. The commissioners say that the people of
          > Vinton County support them and that they think that
          > this is an unprovoked embarrassment to their county.
          > Right now, they are making no promises, and they adopt
          > to anyone who has the adoption fee of $5. We encourage
          > you to contact the commissioners, especially if you
          > live in Vinton County, and also contact the offices of
          > the presentative, senator, and governor listed below.
          > We need to let them know that we are serious about
          > protecting the animals. The contact info is on the
          > website.
          > Thank you
          > Kathy

          Service.

          > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
          and warmth to our souls" Colleen Klaum

        • chowlover44622
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 6:50 PM
            I just got an email tonight from the coordinator of the group. The
            site probably has not been updated. They are back sliding & rehired
            the old dog warden & are not following through on things that were
            discussed. I think they were hoping that we would go away. But we are
            not.
            Kathy

            --- In discussanimalrights@y..., chcoa <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Also, Kathy are you sure these things are still going on? The
            Vinton
            > County SHelter webpage looked okay. I visited it on the links
            page.
            > They showed adoption dates and the cost of $30 not $5 to adopt.
            > Obviously they aren't going to post things like we just shot
            puppies
            > in the head earlier today, but it looked like a good group of
            > volunteers trying to make a difference, not the cold blooded moron
            > squad.
            >
            > Also this OHEA group is affiliated with PETA which makes me wonder
            if
            > everything they are saying is legit. Have you verified the goings
            on
            > at the shelter yourself?
            >
            > I don't like to jump into anything unless I know there is really a
            > problem.
          • chowlover44622
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 7:28 PM
              The vinton county dog pound does not have a website. I'd like to see
              the link you have to that site. Go to the OHEA website & go to the
              update in the upper left corner then at the bottom to the continued
              section were there are pictures of the freezer with puppies in
              freezer bags.
              Kathy

              -- In discussanimalrights@y..., chcoa <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Also, Kathy are you sure these things are still going on? The
              Vinton
              > County SHelter webpage looked okay. I visited it on the links
              page.
              > They showed adoption dates and the cost of $30 not $5 to adopt.
              > Obviously they aren't going to post things like we just shot
              puppies
              > in the head earlier today, but it looked like a good group of
              > volunteers trying to make a difference, not the cold blooded moron
              > squad.
              >
              > Also this OHEA group is affiliated with PETA which makes me wonder
              if
              > everything they are saying is legit. Have you verified the goings
              on
              > at the shelter yourself?
              >
              > I don't like to jump into anything unless I know there is really a
              > problem.
            • Colleen Klaum
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 8:40 PM
                And that's why I took it upon myself to email them and, well, I sent the group the feedback they sent me. Pardon me for butting in here. Colleen

                chcoa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Also, Kathy are you sure these things are still going on? The Vinton
                County SHelter webpage looked okay. I visited it on the links page.
                They showed adoption dates and the cost of $30 not $5 to adopt.
                Obviously they aren't going to post things like we just shot puppies
                in the head earlier today, but it looked like a good group of
                volunteers trying to make a difference, not the cold blooded moron
                squad.

                Also this OHEA group is affiliated with PETA which makes me wonder if
                everything they are saying is legit. Have you verified the goings on
                at the shelter yourself?

                I don't like to jump into anything unless I know there is really a
                problem.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4 8:44 PM
                  And if this is still going on Kathy, the last thing they want are animal activists on their asses, pardon my french. Colleen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6 8:41 AM
                    The page I was looking came from the links section on the OHEA site
                    you listed. I assuming it was the rescue group associated with the
                    Vinton County Shelter since that's what it says.

                    I will look into it further however. Obviously if this stuff is
                    going on it's not right and should be rectified.
                    Chcoa

                    --- In discussanimalrights@y..., "chowlover44622"
                    <chowlover44622@y...> wrote:
                    > The vinton county dog pound does not have a website. I'd like to
                    see
                    > the link you have to that site. Go to the OHEA website & go to the
                    > update in the upper left corner then at the bottom to the continued
                    > section were there are pictures of the freezer with puppies in
                    > freezer bags.
                    > Kathy
                    .
                  • lesliejo1965
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 27, 2007
                      hi everyone. my name is leslie jo. just wanted to say hi and let you know about a great site i
                      ran across today with pet news at petfriendsreport.com

                      leslie jo and my fur kids