Native American Code of Ethics & Perspective & Native American Commandments

  • pommawolf
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2002
      Native American Code of Ethics

      NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUALISM
      Native American Code Of Ethics

      1.`` Rise with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often. The Great
      Spirit will listen, if you only speak.
      2.`` Be tolerant of those who are lost on their path. Ignorance,
      conceit, anger, jealousy, and greed stem from a lost soul. Pray that
      they will find guidance.
      3.`` Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow others to make
      your path for you. It is your road, and yours alone. Others may walk
      it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
      4.`` Treat the guests in your home with much consideration. Serve
      them the best food, give them the best bed and treat them with
      respect and honor.
      5.`` Do not take what is not yours whether from a person, a
      community, the wilderness or from a culture. It was not earned nor
      given. It is not yours.
      6.`` Respect all things that are placed upon this earth - whether it
      be people or plant.
      7.`` Honor other people's thoughts, wishes and words. Never interrupt
      another or mock or rudely mimic them. Allow each person the right to
      personal expression.
      8.`` Never speak of others in a bad way. The negative energy that you
      put out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you.
      9.`` All persons make mistakes. And all mistakes can be forgiven.
      10.`` Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind, body and spirit.
      Practice optimism.
      11.`` Nature is not FOR us, it is a PART of us. They are part of your
      worldly family.
      12.`` Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their
      hearts and water them with wisdom and life's lessons. When they are
      grown, give them space to grow.
      13.`` Avoid hurting the hearts of others. The poison of your pain
      will return to you.
      14.`` Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of ones will
      within this universe.
      15.`` Keep yourself balanced. Your Mental self, Spiritual self,
      Emotional self, and Physical self - all need to be strong, pure and
      healthy. Work out the body to strengthen the mind. Grow rich in
      spirit to cure emotional ails.
      16.`` Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will
      react. Be responsible for your own actions.
      17.`` Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Do not touch
      the personal property of others - especially sacred and religious
      objects. This is forbidden.
      18.`` Be true to yourself first. You cannot nurture and help others
      if you cannot nurture and help yourself first.
      19.`` Respect others religious beliefs. Do not force your belief on
      others.
      20.`` Share your good fortune with others. Participate in charity.

      ~~~~~~~The Native Americans have a saying..
      What is Life? Life is the flash of the firefly at night. Or the
      breath of the buffalo on a cold winter's morning. Life is like the
      small shadow that runs along the tops of the grasses until it gets
      lost. It is not long nor is it short. It is just Life. Author Unknown

      http://members.tripod.com/beangels0/eagle/id17.htm

      Native American Perspective

      Conflict, Chaos and Choices
      by Asanee-watchew-Iskwiw (Lorraine Sinclair)

      Every issue that I have ever been involved with, I've seen and
      experience conflict of perspective and action. My experience has
      primarily been with the environmental movement and the Native
      political and spiritual movements.

      Everyone has their own motives and plans for action. The action plans
      often differ which can really test an individual's motives. Each
      person has to ask themselves on a regular basis, "Why am I doing this
      work and what do I hope to achieve?"

      I would assume that most social planners, activists and other
      facilitators of change desire a world of equality, justice and
      perhaps even peace and harmony. The reality is that we are all human
      beings with a rough and smooth side. I believe that it is the smooth
      side of all of us that sustain our motives while it is the rough side
      which bears the burden of conflict.

      The impetus for our motives is based upon our experiences, our own
      dirt and a burning desire to do something to make the world a better
      place. Unfortunately our dirt gets in the way of making the world a
      better place. When we all know what dirt belongs to who and we begin
      to claim our own dirt, it will be a beginning of peace and harmony.
      And regardless of whose dirt it is, it all stinks.

      A common peace of dirt I keep running across in my travels is ego and
      control. Ego is good - to know who you are and what you stand for and
      remaining true to that. However, when one strong ego is challenged by
      another strong ego; refusal to put yourself in the other person's
      moccasins results in conflict. When two strong egos collide,
      stubbornness takes over. The conflict then moves to a place of
      control and the issues lay in limbo while two or more people struggle
      for power. Conflict is easy enough to avoid; just run away and let
      someone else handle it. Or stand there in your rightness and battle
      it out until resolution is reached.

      We all want and truly believe we are right. And we are...for
      ourselves. We each carry our own truth based on our experiences and
      it is not for another person to say that so and so is wrong. They,
      like me, came to their truth as a result of their own path in life.
      So, how do we resolve conflict?

      I have to keep going back to the Native traditional teachings which
      remind me of a bigger picture. The teaching that motivates me on a
      personal level is that the healing of Mother Earth begins with ME.
      Not my neighbour, my friend or the other guy, but ME.

      It then becomes my responsibility to take the time to examine my own
      behaviour and how I might have contributed to conflict. When I can
      identify my own dirt with complete honesty, I can then take the next
      step. For me that lesson embodies humility. Humility is understanding
      that we are all imperfect human beings. Humility ensures that do not
      ever place ourselves above another. It reminds us that we are all
      teachers and students alike. Humility teaches us that we are all
      mirrors of our beauty and dirt.

      When we forget this teaching, we'll be reminded by the grandfathers
      in some aspect of our lives. How we handle the on-going lesson of
      humility determines our contribution to world peace and harmony.

      It takes a bigger person to put the ego aside, step out of the way
      and let Creator's will be done. Creator gave each one of us the
      breath of life through spirit and He gives us the power of choice.
      And there are times when we need to choose to get out of the way to
      allow Creator's will to be done.

      From what I understand of traditional community-building - the power
      and strength of an individual was important but NEVER to the
      detriment of the community.

      Choosing the leadership in the community was based on acknowledging
      the individual(s) who embraced the principles of honesty, humility,
      patience, faith, kindness and sharing. When a person lived by these
      principles and had the experience of leadership, wisdom was the
      outcome. And it was that wisdom which determined the value of the
      leader to the community.

      Honest communication was and is the road to resolution of conflict.
      The mediator(s) should be the rest of the community who try to
      maintain objectivity. In other words (as Milton keeps reminding
      us), "keep the personal out of it, and remember the issue". It's
      pretty tough to keep the personal out of it when we disagree with one
      another. But we need to try.

      Unfortunately, being the human that we are, we choose sides, pass
      judgement and gossip to one another about our position and opinions.

      There are many times when I get frustrated with other groups and
      individuals who ultimately have the same motives as I yet choose
      different methods of facilitating change. There have even been times
      when I've said to myself (on my high horse), "How can we ever achieve
      peace and harmony, when I'm surrounded by assholes?" There have also
      been times when I've needed to take time out to re- examine my self
      and do some personal healing. I think if we all just worked on
      healing ourselves, change would happen naturally. And it is
      happening. It's just not happening as fast or in quite the way as
      some of us would like.

      I have to share some of what I've learned from wise people in my life
      about community-building.

      My mother brought us up in our family to "get along with each other."
      It didn't matter that we were (and are) six different and strong-
      minded individuals with six different opinions; we had to learn to
      get along. And sometimes you have to "fight it out" to learn to get
      along. With learning to "get along" came the basis of my learning
      respect of others.

      My dad taught us timing and patience in his 30 plus years in
      politics. Far too many times, his political adversaries stabbed him
      in the back and family members urged him to retaliate or fight
      back. "Keyam" was his response. Keyam in Cree means, "it is not the
      right time yet"; "let it be". He always believed the truth would
      eventually come out and he wouldn't "lower" himself to fight dirty.
      Through it all, many of the back-stabbers have fallen by the wayside,
      but dad has maintained his integrity.

      There are two men friends - Ray and Ken - who constantly remind me of
      the short time we have on this earth to live. Ray learned that he was
      Metis and was in search of his roots when I met him in 1979. He was
      diagnosed with multiple sclerosis that same year and within a few
      short years was in a wheelchair. He has been completely paralysed and
      blind for more than 10 years now. He has learned more about living
      and spirituality than anyone I know. All he has is his mind and
      spirit and he has made good use of the time to know himself and the
      Greater Truth and continue to grow.

      Ken is an Indian man who was diagnosed HIV positive about 4 years
      ago. We became friends 2 years ago. He shares my love of Mother
      Earth - we have laid together on a hill wrapped in our sleeping bags
      watching the falling stars and just being happy with the Universe.
      Ken know his death is imminent and he lives each day growing and
      changing. Through him, the world around him grows and changes.

      And finally, Chief Robert Smallboy who, in 1981, saw my heart and
      Pointing me in the direction of protecting and defending Mother

      Earth. Mother Earth is the common ground we all seek.

      We are living in very confusing and dangerous times. Everything that
      happens to each of us in our personal lives is a test and opportunity
      for growth and change. When we face these tests with courage and
      integrity, it is another small step towards building community. Each
      time one of us falls and is hurt, it affects the rest of the
      community. We all need to accept the responsibility of extending a
      hand to help a brother or sister who has fallen.

      An obstacle that we, as human beings, have to learn to overcome is
      that we are living in a world of many different Nations and ways of
      doing things. Non-natives have their own way which is important to
      understand because it often doesn't mesh with the Native way. And how
      are we ever going to teach them our way of seeing and doing things if
      we can't even get along with each other? The choice is ours.

      Lorraine Sinclair (Asanee-watchew-Iskwiw - Mountain Woman)
      Mother Earth Healing Society

      http://www.indigenouspeople.org/natlit/natlit.htm