Meat Tax? - Trying again :-(

  • A_O_U
    Message 1 of 3358 , Jul 26 12:06 PM
      Found these comments on another message board,
      thought it was a good decussion
      Treatment of Animals is pushing for a tax on meat, as
      Poland has. ("Capitol Pig," March 2O). <br><br>Meat
      consumption costs Americans an estimated $61 billion each
      year in health care costs, particularly in the high
      incidence of heart disease, strokes and cancer, not to
      mention E. coli. <br><br>Animal waste ravages our air,
      land and water. A typical pig factory farm generates
      raw waste equivalent to that of a city of 12,000
      people. A vegetarian diet requires 300 gallons of water a
      day, a carnivorous one, 4,200 gallons a day.
      Forty-five percent of the total land in the U.S. is used to
      raise animals for their flesh or crops to feed these
      animals. <br><br>We have permanently lost 3/4 of U.S.
      topsoil, 85 percent of this loss is directly due to the
      raising of animals for meat. <br><br>Taxing meat is not
      only appropriate, it is imperative. <br>-- Carla
      Bennett, PETA Senior Writer"
      enough taxes?
      Message 3358 of 3358 , Apr 6, 2002