Friends that eat animals - I need advice

  • soyjer_m49sacramento
    Message 1 of 3358 , May 2, 2001
      Hi, <br><br>I believe that unnecessarily killing
      is undesireable - that when possible it should be
      avoided.<br>As a result (I guess), I have a "reaction" to people
      who eat meat. Mainly it is just puzzlement - I don't
      understand how otherwise nice people can choose to kill when
      they don't have to kill.<br>BUT, at the same time, I
      recognize that I kill when I do not have to kill merely by
      existing - every time I breath or move I am killing living
      organisms, and certainly when I walk or drive I am killing
      even higher forms of life.<br>So I am a hypocrite...I
      am puzzled by others who choose to kill, and yet I
      choose to kill.<br>I guess we are ALL selfish to some
      degree, and I recognize this, and yet recognizing this
      doesn't seem to enable me to feel friendly toward all
      people. I only seem able to be friendly toward people who
      are somewhat like myself. Some of these people who
      eat meat are probably WAY less selfish overall than I
      am, and yet I can't seem to get past the fact that
      they eat meat - I don't understand that.<br>My
      question for you is:<br>Are you able to look at the person
      as a 'whole' person and approve or disapprove of
      them based on their overall character, or are you
      unable to get past the 'eating meat' thing as I seem
      unable to?<br>Or is this just a case of us humans
      wanting to associate with 'our own kind', and morality is
      not really the issue here?<br><br>Jerry
      Message 3358 of 3358 , Apr 6, 2002