Foot and Mouth Disease

  • KUICKSILVERAGENT
    Message 1 of 3358 , Mar 9, 2001
      Britain Fears Second Wave of Foot-and-Mouth
      Two weeks after Britain restricted the movement of
      animals through the countryside in an effort to slow the
      spread of foot-and-mouth disease, officials feared
      Friday that a second wave of the livestock ailment was
      beginning to hit. <br>Animals can carry the highly
      contagious virus for up to two weeks without showing
      symptoms, and officials had hoped the number of new cases
      would being falling. The first case of the disease was
      confirmed Feb. 20; tight restrictions on the movement of
      livestock were imposed three days later. <br>But the
      outbreak has swelled steadily in the past few days. A
      total of 127 cases were confirmed by Friday, scattered
      throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
      of stopping the spread, and officials say the huge
      pyres of carcasses are becoming a nuisance. Many
      farmers have been forced to let slaughtered animals'
      corpses rot in fields, and some urged the government to
      appoint a special crisis manager. <br>"We are calling for
      a foot-and-mouth czar or enforcer," said Ian
      Johnson of the South West National Farmers' Union.
      make decisions and implement them and I am not sure
      (Agriculture Secretary) Nick Brown in his current position is
      able to do that," he said. <br>Chief Veterinary
      Officer Jim Scudamore admitted that disposal of
      slaughtered animals has become a problem. <br>"We are dealing
      with huge farms with a lot of animals so we have huge
      problems with disposal of carcasses," he said. He proposed
      that animals be transported to rendering plants for
      destruction. <br>Most early cases were reported in pigs, but
      the disease is increasingly being found in cattle,
      adding to fears that a second wave of the outbreak may
      be hitting. <br>It has virtually paralyzed parts of
      rural Britain. Authorities have closed rural footpaths,
      discouraged travel in the countryside and canceled sporting
      events. <br>The European Union has closed all livestock
      markets and banned imports of meat, livestock and milk
      products from Britain. <br>France has destroyed 35,500
      animals and thousands more have been culled across the
      continent. <br>Cars and trucks rolling off ferries at French
      ports on the English Channel must pass through trays of
      disinfectant. At some Italian airports, passengers are required
      to pass through disinfectant points. In Ireland,
      some Saint Patrick's Day celebrations have been
      revised or postponed. <br>Queen Elizabeth II postponed a
      visit next week to Wiltshire, in western England,
      because cases of the disease were found nearby,
      Buckingham Palace said. <br>Meanwhile, farmers in uninfected
      Australia hope the crisis will open new markets for them.
      Prime Minister John Howard said Friday that Australia
      will try to boost beef sales to Europe.
      such as sheep, pigs and cows � is easily spread by
      afflicted animals or by carriers such as humans, horses and
      wild animals. It can also become airborne, though
      officials say it seems to have spread that way only several
      times during this outbreak. <br>Meat from an infected
      animal is safe to eat, but animals that recover from the
      disease produce less meat or milk. So a country that
      imports livestock touched by the disease risks infecting
      its own herds, thereby endangering its export
      business.
      Message 3358 of 3358 , Apr 6, 2002