Re: Animal sentience

  • pommawolf
    Message 1 of 3358 , Dec 1, 2000
      Rachael,<br> "Not to hurt our humble brethren<br>
      (the animals) is our first duty to<br> them, but to
      stop there is not enough.<br> We have a higher mission
      - to be of<br> service to them whenever they
      require<br> it. If you have men who will exclude<br> any of
      God's creatures from the<br> shelter of compassion and
      pity, you<br> will have men who will deal likewise<br>
      with their fellow men." <br> Saint Francis of Assisi
      Endangered Wolf Species<br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      that dwell thereon with respect.<br>Remain close to
      the Great Spirit.<br>Show great respect for your
      fellow beings.<br>Work together for the benefit of all
      Mankind.<br>Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.<br>Do
      what you know to be right.<br>Look after the well
      being of mind and body.<br>Dedicate a share of your
      efforts to the greater good.<br>Be truthful and honest at
      all times.<br>Take full responsibility for your
      to take from creation's beauty more than we
      give;<br>never to destroy wantonly for the furtherance of
      greed<br>never to deny to give our hands for the building of
      earth's beauty;<br>never to take from her what we cannot
      use.<br>Give us hearts to understand<br>that to destroy
      earth's music is to create confusion;<br>that to wreck
      her appearance is to blind us to beauty;<br>that to
      callously pollute her fragrance is to make a house of
      stench;<br>that as we care for her she will care for us.<br>We
      have forgotten who we are.<br>We have sought only our
      own security.<br>We have exploited simply for our own
      ends.<br>We have distorted our knowledge.<br>We have abused
      our power.<br>Great Spirit, whose dry lands
      thirst,<br>help us to find the way to refresh your
      lands.<br>Great Spirit, whose waters are choked with debris and
      pollution,<br>help us to find the way to cleanse your
      waters.<br>Great Spirit, whose beautiful earth grows ugly with
      misuse,<br>help us to find the way to restore beauty to your
      handiwork.<br>Great Spirit, whose creatures are being
      destroyed,<br>help us to find a way to replenish them.<br>Great
      Spirit, whose gifts to us are being lost in selfishness
      and corruption,<br>help us to find the way to restore
      our humanity.<br>Facing the end of one's cycle with
      dignity and courage <br>Death and rebirth <br>Spirit
      teaching <br>Guidance in dreams and meditations
      values <br>Outwitting enemies <br>Ability to pass unseen
      change<br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>"We must fight against the spirit of unconscious
      cruelty with which we<br>treat the animals. Animals
      suffer as much as we do. True humanity<br>does not allow
      us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty
      to<br>make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our
      circle of<br>compassion to all living things, humanity
      will not find peace." <br> ~Dr. Albert Schweitzer,
      1952 Nobel Peace Prize Winner~
      Message 3358 of 3358 , Apr 6, 2002