Visit a new country

  • topanka37
    Message 1 of 4124 , Sep 1, 2001
    • annamaria47
      Message 4124 of 4124 , Feb 28, 2002
        Gargamel named Sousse. If you visit this tourist city, ask for the
        Catacombs. A great part of the city is carved with catacombs where
        pre roman and roman people buried their dead ones and there are
        paintings and ornamental things. Not all the catacombs are to visit,
        but a part of them.
        Anyway...once there is curious to se them.
        Sousse has a big souk, a big marked, on Sundays. Near the central
        station of louages, just ask for it. People of many villages of the
        sorroundigns come to this marked to have vegetables, fruit, tea or
        any item for the house or clothes. You could distinguish there the
        berber women with their red cloth and huge ornements. This souk is
        only organized on weekends, beginning on Saturday (afternoon only, I
        think). But the rest of the week it's an empty place. Besides this
        there is another souk, stable, working everyday. But the big marked
        of Sundays has something special.
        Gargamel named the medina, the old part of the city. In the medina
        there is a mosquee that has a zone that can be visited, but not
        everybody is happy seing foreigners there. In the sector where they
        sell tapistry and kilims, some of the shops will let you go upstairs
        to the roof and there you can see the city and take pics.
        In the souks you will find oil of perfumes of flowers of the desert
        that have a very fine fragrance. 7 - 8 dinars for a tube of glass of
        the small finger's size is a good price. You will find similar tubes
        at 2 dinars in markets, but they are not essencial oil: they have
        parafine added. Usually, the old shops in the medina souk, with big
        pots with handwritten names of the flowers, use to be the good ones.
        And they will begin asking for 20 dinars or similar. The cheap ones
        are sold in non specialized places with many other items of parfumery
        and beauty...but I have to say that they are not so bad. French
        parfumists use Tunisian flowers for their famous perfumes and some
        have part of the process made in Tunis.
        I only want to add that this is the most open muslim country I've
        visited.
        The Museum of El Bardo, in Tunis, is something to be visited, too.