RE: [discoverlivesteamgroup] Re: Updates on 1" scale research

  • Ken Cameron
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011

      I’m managing to find things here and there in 1”. And thankfully I’m only an hour away from a club (FLLS) with a good 1” track. But a backyard, other than a test track, doesn’t interest me. I’m into operations!! And have found a group of similar interests in the 1” group at FLLS, so I lucked out there. Until I have the time, space and money to put in a 1” equal to operations oriented tracks like Michigan Central or White Creek, I’ll be splitting my time between scales.

      I’ll own and operate 1” locally since it prices right. But I’ll also make a number of trips a year (6 to 10 hours) for operation sessions in 1.5” scales. Will I someday also own something in 1.5”, I’d say that’s a reasonable chance. But again price would be a strong influence on that. Also something that is adjustable in gauge would be required. I live in the land of 7.25” but find most of the operation sessions to be past the border of 7.5” track.

      I would love to see more things available in the 1” scale. But right now there seems to be a low in the motive power availability for this scale. Detail parts are also limited with only a few sources currently providing product.

      -ken cameron
      Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
      CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/

      Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/

      Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
      mailto: kcameron@...

      In the Upstate New York US area of the world

    • mrjcad@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
        see  below

        mrjcad@...
        Laurence Johnson

        From: mrjcad@... <mrjcad@...>
        To: discoverlivesteamgroup@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, December 7, 2011, 10:46 AM

        I can not blame you for your decision; money, indeed, does talk the loudest. But for me with a large enough back yard and, at the time, an affordable work shop, backyard railroading is the answer. As the costs go up for driving and/or transporting over to the nearest railroad club, being able to wander out and five minutes later be rolling the rails makes a lot of sense. Good luck.

        mrjcad@...
        Laurence Johnson

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
          I got to see a goose at the last meet I did in November for the first time. It was very impressive. I suspect in the next few years with the castings that are being offered and several builders offering packages for key components that we will see a lot more.

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
            Yes, I agree, 4 decades ago, it was the Faimont and today it will be the Goose. They look better than the riding bench prv too.

            mrjcad@...
            Laurence Johnson

            I got to see a goose at the last meet I did in November for the first time. It was very impressive. I suspect in the next few years with the castings that are being offered and several builders offering packages for key components that we will see a lot more.

            --- In discoverlivesteamgroup@yahoogroups.com, mrjcad@... wrote:

            > see below
            >

            > mrjcad@...
            > Laurence Johnson

          • Rick White
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
              Michael,
                          The Goose you saw at the HALS 20th Anniversary Meet changed hands on Sunday during the meet, and now belongs to John Frank and his brother.  It resides in the HALS engine barn, ready to run when the Frank brothers need to travel.
                          You may have also have seen a Little Mac by Cannonball running at that meet.  It can be lifted up and placed in your vehicle.  You are doing fine with your PRV, so no big rush to change anything.  Just keep changing the theme each year so we look forward to a surprise each year.
                            Rick White

              --

            • Mike Scherpenberg
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
                I agree Ken.  My findings are there is a company called Frahm that only makes a gondola kit, Midwest Trains that makes cars, 1" RR supply that does nothing but parts, couplers and trucks.  There are a few shops that will do steamers in 1 inch but Riding Rail Kits seemed to have a monopoly on the market.  Their closing seems to have really killed the game.  If they are not going to go back into production, it would be nice to see the owner put the company or product lines up for sale.  I think that's what it is going to take for this particular scale to take off again outside of the few places in the country where it had already taken off.

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
                  1" scale is still kicking but not really growing as a hobby in my view from the website.  When 1" stuff comes up, it sells pretty well if the price is right. And we get plenty of interest on all 1" scale items. That make me think there are many more private "home" tracks in 1" than are generally known.  It's a good choice for many with limited space (curves can have a much tighter radius), smaller budgets, and don't mind riding closer to the ground.

                  No one asked about this so I'll give my opinion on beginner locomotives anyway. Many folks look to building a gasoline powered locomotive as a first project.  I did that too when I built my 0-6-0 "Toby" with a 3.5hp. gas engine.  After working out the bugs, I was pretty happy with it.  For my next locomotive, I built an electric "rail jeep" using a motor and gears from Plum Cove.  From that point on I was hooked on electric.  I'm left with this question: Why do most folks build using gas engines?

                  Jim.

                  href="mailto:discoverlivesteamgroup%40yahoogroups.com">discoverlivesteamgroup@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Sent: Wed, Dec 7, 2011 10:53 am
                  > Subject: Re: [discoverlivesteamgroup] Re: Updates on 1" scale
                  research

                  > 7.5 gauge is pretty much what we do in my neck of the woods and
                  honestly, I enjoy going out to the various tracks several times a year. There are about 7 or 8 within driving distance (although several are 4 or 5 hours away). At this point in my life, a large 1.5 scale diesel is out of my budget and transporting it would be a major issue. That's what interested me about the 1" scale since it is a bit more manageable (but still pricey). In the meantime, I will continue to use my personal rail vehicle for visiting live steam railroads and I think this gauge 1 shark may be a nice compromise.

                  > Check out my new Myspace music page at
                  href="http://www.myspace.com/slappyrawks">http://www.myspace.com/slappyrawks ; I could not open this but then I'm not into may space, my notebook, mywebpage or myetc.; I don't have a son or grandson that can help me (another problem of being to old). I have a fairmont speeder that gets carried places just for the fun of running it. Yes, I have a trailer I can pull behind my pickup but loading and unloading here at home is the challenge as it is more than me and grandma can do by ourselves. Currently I am working on my own prv using the casting set Jim has on the DLS site but, being the builder I am, it will be my version of the Goose 7 -- six axle articulated two unit puller, not rider; and that means it is in the pickup not the car. Oh well.

                • Edward Duke
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
                    The FLLS do operations in 1"scale!?  I didn't think there was any out there beside Jim Culver's Chippewa Northwestern RR in Goehner, NE, that did operations in 1" scale.

                    Where is the FLLS located?

                    I am building a 1"scale railroad at my place that is being built for operations.

                    I have been at the Michigan Central and White Creek both, you are right they are what railroading in livesteam can be about, awesome.

                    Ed Duke
                    Sky Line Railway
                    Hensler, ND

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 8, 2011

                      At FLLS we are adding operations to the 1” line. This winter we are adding the last needed passing siding and are adding signals like what WCRR and MCRR use, pushbutton operated. We are shooting for the first real sessions in 2013 but hope to do some limited session during 2012. We’ve got to add industry spurs here and there but by using the existing track in one pattern we have 5 or 6 right now and are considering making one of those an in/out industry for the traffic value. But we’ve got a core of people, some 1.5” folk that are tired of ‘circle burning’, working on the needed track changes etc…

                      So for starting we’ve got about 2500’ of mainline and 5 passing sidings. But we are looking at ideas that could end up adding another 3-5k feet for a branch line if we get the interest. The basic feeling is that there is a lot of 1” ‘lying around’ and if we can make a fun use of it, people will break it out of the basements, barns, etc…

                      And FLLS is “Finger Lakes Live Steamers” and the website in down in my .sig for other general details.

                      And thanks for confirming that we aren’t the only folks trying this idea. I’d be interested in getting a line on Jim Culver’s to see what can be learned from his layout. We’re thinking that while most of the ideas used on the larger scale will work, some things might need adjusting. Like 2 man crews are about max due to the limited pulling power of 1” engines in comparison to 1.5” that can easily do 3 or 4 man crews.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 8, 2011
                        His web site is www.the-chippewa.org
                        His railroads name is the Chippewa Northwestern Railroad in Goehner, NE.

                        Ed Duke