Call for action : Assembly Elections in Maharashtra and Disabled People's Right

  • Nilesh Singit
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
      Date: 06 September 2004

      Subject: Call for action : Assembly Elections in Maharashtra
      and Disabled People's Right to Vote

      Dear Friend and Colleague,
      The Assembly Elections in Maharashta will take place on 13 October
      2004. We, the disabled, need to ensure that the electoral process is
      fully accessible for all disabled people. We need to guarantee that
      disabled people have access to political parties' electoral campaigns
      and access to information about the electoral process. We must also
      ensure that disabled people can register to vote, can vote by secret
      ballot and vote with dignity.
      We invite you to a Parliamentary Convention by Disability Rights
      Group to find out if the provisions are being made to ensure that
      Assembly Elections in Maharashta will be accessible to all.
      We then encourage you to participate in the proceedings and report us
      on disabled people's good and bad experiences in seeking to
      participate in the electoral process during the April 2004 Lok Sabha
      elections.
      The Supreme Court ruling provides for accessibility of elections, we
      need to see if these are being adhered to by Election Commissioners
      Offices.
      We are also calling political parties to include disability issues in
      their manifesto and meet their obligations to guarantee that the
      principle of democracy and the fundamental right to vote are
      maintained for all disabled people of India.
      Parliamentary Convention to include disability issues in election
      manifestos of Political Parties has been organized at 5 p.m. on
      Friday 10th September at
      Mumbai Marathi Granth Sangrahalaya
      Surendra Gavaskar Hall
      Near Sharda Cinema,
      Opp. Kohinoor Mills
      Dadar (East). Mumbai - 14
      Tel. No 2413 4211
      We have also received confirmation from :
      " Congress
      " NCP
      " CPM
      " Shiv Sena
      " Rashtriyawadi Congress
      " Samajwadi Party and
      " others
      Advocate Mihir Desai will be chairing the session
      Please call to confirm at 23439651 / 23436692 / 9820946125
      We look forward to hearing from you.
      Yours sincerely

      Nilesh Singit
      For Disability Rights Group
    • l murray
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
        Hello Nilesh,

        This is most interesting!  I will post it immediately at http://www.bcdisabilites.com.  Could you send us a few links to good government websites or others that set out accessibility requirements in India and any comments you have regarding them?  Where are they most in need of reform, for instance?  Do you have the kind of sites there we've visited in Ontario at http://www.bcdisabilities.com/bcdisforum/viewtopic.php?t=68?  Please write to us at editor@....  We'd love to hear from you and any of your colleagues.  We will then send a link to Mme. Louise Arbour at the UN in support of her commitment toward global human rights.

        lm

        Date: 06 September 2004

[...]

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/iGurlB/TM

        Yahoo! Groups Links