Fwd: 'New game show would pit disabled against able-bodied'.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2003
      Broadcasters in Hong Kong have been accused of bad taste by planning
      a gameshow where disabled contestants compete against able-bodied
      people.

      RTHK says it is seriously considering commissioning the show - called
      Count our Blessings.

      It has been devised by China Entertainment Television Broadcast
      chairman Robert Chua Wah-peng, reports the South China Morning Post
      <http://www.scmp.com/>.

      A team of three players - two of whom must have visual, hearing or
      speech impairments - would compete against a team wearing dark
      glasses, mouth gags or headphones blasting out loud music.

      Mr Chua claims the show will promote people's understanding and
      support for people with disabilities.

      The Movement Against Discrimination has described the concept as very
      dangerous, adding disabilities are no laughing matter.

      Spokesman John Tse Wing-ling said: "By artificially separating the
      disabled from the normal people you are going against the movement of
      trying to include them into our society."

      But some disabled people in Hong Kong say they are keen to sign up
      for the show.

      Wang Kai-fung, of the Hong Kong Society for the Deaf, said: "Maybe at
      first we will be put on the spot and laughed at but I don't care.
      Sometimes we just need to play a game and relax."

      MORE GOTO

      <http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_758927.html>

      Story filed: 11:49 Monday 10th March 2003