Re: [disabilitystudies] " Special needs???"

  • VictoriaMLucas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
      How about 'access needs' or 'access requirements' as an alternative to 'special needs'?

      Vicky lucas
    • Steve Palmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
        Hi Maria and All,

        You said it best, when you said you ignore it.

        PWD want to be treated like every body else, not as 'special'

        As a person who's lived more than 50 years with Polio, I was around before these words like 'special needs', 'accessable' and 'disabled' were around, or 'politically correct'.     When I was 5, I was in a Shriners Hospital for 'Crippled' Children and most of us weren't allowed to even attend public schools.     We have come a long way in 50 years, but we still have a long way to go, before we can say, our society and respective cultures are accessable for all.

        Ignorance, neglect, superstion and fear are the social factors that prevent, and have prevented PWD from achieving true equality and respect throughout human history.

        Thanks again for your comments and insight, because there should be.......... 'nothing about us, without us'

        (smile)

        Cheers for All,

        Steve & Yofi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
          Hi Vicky!
          Can we use "acces needs" if we are talking about needs
          of human resourses?
          --- VictoriaMLucas@... wrote:
          > How about 'access needs' or 'access requirements' as
          > an alternative to
          > 'special needs'?
          >
          > Vicky lucas

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Maria Veronica Reina Romero
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
            But, Steve, I am sorry if now I am rude(I don't want
            to be rude with you)... Also I have been several years
            in a wheelchair (20)! I ignore about terms, maybe
            because I don't care enough about them, and I have to
            change my position, but I don't ignore how hard our
            life can be
            Twenty years ago, when I started to use my wheelchair
            because of my paraplegy, a dictatorship was ruling my
            country and the military did not alow me to study ( I
            wanted to become a school teacher) because a disabled
            person would not be a good model for the students!
            I went to a play during my first "ounting" in a
            wheelchair. The show was at a public theater ( of the
            Municipality) The theater did not have a special place
            for wheelchairs and the oficial in charge of the
            theater wanted that I "got out of" the wheelchair and
            was seated at a "normal" chair, because I was
            "bothering" people with my wheelch. Also he said to
            me: "People come here to enjoy a show, they don't want
            to see ugly things" . I was a "ugly thing" because
            of the wheelch.
            I can tell you hundred stories like this. We, at that
            time, were "nobody", with no rights, no anything.Some
            tortured and today missing people were disabled
            activists that were contending for more equality .
            After the dictatorship, we celebrated that the
            official educational system started to think that we
            were people. Of course, I don't feel totally good
            hearing this little word "special". It bothers me a
            bit, you are right.
            Sometimes I see so many necessities in my community
            then I don't care about words. Right now in my country
            we don't have almost ANY benefit related with the
            disability. And we are one of the weakest communities.
            People don't ignore about disability, people directly
            ignore us.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Steve Palmer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
              Dear Maria and All,

              There is nothing rude about being honest and telling it like it is.     People like us, have been struggling for equality and respect for more than 200 years, at least the last time I ckecked, but who's keeping score. (smile)      The fact that we still have not achieved the equal status enjoyed by people without disabilities, demonstrates just how ingrained, the policy of inforcing normalcy in society is, even in more developed countries like Canada and the US.

              Although I am an American, I live in Canada where many people think it's a good idea to kill disabled children, when their families can no longer cope with the adverse effects discrimination, which is so rampant here.     Canada unlike the US, provides no real protection or sanctions against discrimination towards PWD, so the predjudice you faced in your native country, is not unique to Argentina.

              America in many ways, is now showing the rest of the world what equality and respect means for PWD.    In Canada the people here, have substituted remediation and charity for equality and respect.     I guess their counting on us, not knowing the difference.

              Not that anyone but us (PWD) particularly cares.

              Cheers,

              Steve & Yofi

              P.S.   They can only ignore us, if we let them. (smile)