Re: [disabilitystudies] " Special needs???"

  • Maria Veronica Reina Romero
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
      Hi Steve, I am another Maria
      I am paraplegic from Argentina, I am living right now
      in Michigan
      When we, Argentines, began to use this term, few years
      ago, that was seen as an advance, because we were
      starting to understand (or we supposed that we were
      starting to understand)that disabled people need extra
      resourses.
      Is there other term more appropriate than "special
      needs'? I am asking because I ignore it.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • VictoriaMLucas@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
        How about 'access needs' or 'access requirements' as an alternative to 'special needs'?

        Vicky lucas
      • Steve Palmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
          Hi Maria and All,

          You said it best, when you said you ignore it.

          PWD want to be treated like every body else, not as 'special'

          As a person who's lived more than 50 years with Polio, I was around before these words like 'special needs', 'accessable' and 'disabled' were around, or 'politically correct'.     When I was 5, I was in a Shriners Hospital for 'Crippled' Children and most of us weren't allowed to even attend public schools.     We have come a long way in 50 years, but we still have a long way to go, before we can say, our society and respective cultures are accessable for all.

          Ignorance, neglect, superstion and fear are the social factors that prevent, and have prevented PWD from achieving true equality and respect throughout human history.

          Thanks again for your comments and insight, because there should be.......... 'nothing about us, without us'

          (smile)

          Cheers for All,

          Steve & Yofi

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
            Hi Vicky!
            Can we use "acces needs" if we are talking about needs
            of human resourses?
            --- VictoriaMLucas@... wrote:
            > How about 'access needs' or 'access requirements' as
            > an alternative to
            > 'special needs'?
            >
            > Vicky lucas

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Maria Veronica Reina Romero
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
              But, Steve, I am sorry if now I am rude(I don't want
              to be rude with you)... Also I have been several years
              in a wheelchair (20)! I ignore about terms, maybe
              because I don't care enough about them, and I have to
              change my position, but I don't ignore how hard our
              life can be
              Twenty years ago, when I started to use my wheelchair
              because of my paraplegy, a dictatorship was ruling my
              country and the military did not alow me to study ( I
              wanted to become a school teacher) because a disabled
              person would not be a good model for the students!
              I went to a play during my first "ounting" in a
              wheelchair. The show was at a public theater ( of the
              Municipality) The theater did not have a special place
              for wheelchairs and the oficial in charge of the
              theater wanted that I "got out of" the wheelchair and
              was seated at a "normal" chair, because I was
              "bothering" people with my wheelch. Also he said to
              me: "People come here to enjoy a show, they don't want
              to see ugly things" . I was a "ugly thing" because
              of the wheelch.
              I can tell you hundred stories like this. We, at that
              time, were "nobody", with no rights, no anything.Some
              tortured and today missing people were disabled
              activists that were contending for more equality .
              After the dictatorship, we celebrated that the
              official educational system started to think that we
              were people. Of course, I don't feel totally good
              hearing this little word "special". It bothers me a
              bit, you are right.
              Sometimes I see so many necessities in my community
              then I don't care about words. Right now in my country
              we don't have almost ANY benefit related with the
              disability. And we are one of the weakest communities.
              People don't ignore about disability, people directly
              ignore us.

              http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • Steve Palmer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 30, 2002
                Dear Maria and All,

                There is nothing rude about being honest and telling it like it is.     People like us, have been struggling for equality and respect for more than 200 years, at least the last time I ckecked, but who's keeping score. (smile)      The fact that we still have not achieved the equal status enjoyed by people without disabilities, demonstrates just how ingrained, the policy of inforcing normalcy in society is, even in more developed countries like Canada and the US.

                Although I am an American, I live in Canada where many people think it's a good idea to kill disabled children, when their families can no longer cope with the adverse effects discrimination, which is so rampant here.     Canada unlike the US, provides no real protection or sanctions against discrimination towards PWD, so the predjudice you faced in your native country, is not unique to Argentina.

                America in many ways, is now showing the rest of the world what equality and respect means for PWD.    In Canada the people here, have substituted remediation and charity for equality and respect.     I guess their counting on us, not knowing the difference.

                Not that anyone but us (PWD) particularly cares.

                Cheers,

                Steve & Yofi

                P.S.   They can only ignore us, if we let them. (smile)