[disabilitystudies] December 3rd International Disability Day

  • keith armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 1999
      Has anyone done anything towards this disability day?

      I know i hav'nt.

      what is historical about December 3rd to the disability community?

      send your comments........

      Keith
    • keith armstrong
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 1999
        "kate totherow" <ezhc01-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/disabilitystudies/?start=7
        > Keith,
        > What is historical about December 3rd? I know that I am much more
        > aware of facilities now...how accessible they are to people with
        > disabilites. Tell me more. I'd like to know of the mythology of
        > disability....
        > peace,
        > Kate

        Kate

        have no idea why 3 December is significant.... Dec 1st is international
        aids
        day...... I think that Nov. 15 (75) was the
        day the UN signed their declaration of the
        human rights of disabled people.

        there are now 6 members of this group ...what do YOU think?

        Keith
      • Kate Totherow
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 1999
          Keith,
          What is historical about December 3rd? I know that I am much more
          aware of facilities now...how accessible they are to people with
          disabilites. Tell me more. I'd like to know of the mythology of
          disability....
          peace,
          Kate
          see you Wednesday.....
        • Kate Totherow
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 1999
            Hello All,
            Found the diary of Frieda Kahlo the other day....fascinating. Would
            she have found this passion to paint if she didn't have her accident?
            Perhaps. At age eleven, Anais Nin was told she would never walk
            and she immediately picked up a pencil. It proved to be a
            misdiagnosis, but she kept on writing. Ever since I began to dance I
            have been drawn to crutches, wheelchairs, people with paralysis. I
            see that at any moment I could lose my ability to move and dance, the
            most enjoyable thing I know. But I would keep on living, and then
            how would I find a way to express? We are intent on survival and
            will find whatever means we can to share our stories with the rest of
            the world. Peace to you,
            Kate
          • Kate Totherow