Fwd:- The Good Neighbor

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2001
      A thought provoking side, see the following before we
      all applaud militay action by US....

      This is a email from a Arab-American
      person here. It really put a different perspective on
      my thoughts of how America and the world should
      'retaliate' to the threat from terrorism.

      I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bombing
      Afghanistan back to the Stone Age." Ron Owens, on
      KGO Talk Radio today, allowed that this would mean
      killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do with
      this atrocity, but "we're at war, we have to accept
      collateral damage.

      What else can we do?" Minutes later I heard some TV
      pundit discussing whether we "have the belly to do
      what must be done." And I thought about the issues
      being raised especially hard because I am from
      Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35
      years I've never lost track of what's going on there.
      So I want to tell anyone who will listen how it all
      looks from where I'm standing. I speak as one who
      deeply hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. My
      hatred comes from first hand experience. There is no
      doubt in my mind that these people were responsible
      for the atrocity in New York. I agree that something
      must be done about those monsters. But the Taliban and
      Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even the
      government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of
      ignorant psychotics who took over Afghanistan in 1997.
      Bin Laden is a political criminal with a plan. When
      you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin
      Laden,think Hitler. And when you think "the people of
      Afghanistan" think "the Jews in the concentration
      camps."

      It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do
      with this atrocity. They were the first victims of
      the perpetrators. They would exult if someone would
      come in there, take out the Taliban and clear out the
      rats nest of international thugs holed up in their
      country.Some say, why don't the Afghans rise up and
      overthrow the Taliban?

      The answer is, they're starved, exhausted, hurt,
      incapacitated, suffering. A few years ago, the United
      Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled
      orphans in Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no
      food. There are millions of widows. And the Taliban
      has been burying these widows alive in mass graves.
      The soil is littered with land mines, the farms were
      all destroyed by the Soviets. These are a few of the
      reasons why the Afghan people have not overthrown the
      Taliban. We come now to the question of "bombing
      Afghanistan back to the Stone Age". Trouble is,
      that's been done. The Soviets took care of it already.

      Make the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering.
      Level their houses? Done.Turn their schools into
      piles of rubble? Done. Eradicate their hospitals?
      Done. Destroy their infrastructure? Cut them off from
      medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already
      did all that.New bombs would only stir the rubble of
      earlier bombs. Would they at least get the Taliban?
      Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban
      eat, only they have the means to move around. They'd
      slip away and hide.

      Maybe the bombs would get some of those disabled
      orphans, they don't move too fast, they don't even
      have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping
      bombs would not really be a strike against the
      criminals who did this horrific thing. Actually it
      would only be making common cause with the
      Taliban--by raping once again the people they've been
      raping all this time. So what else is there? What can
      be done, then? Let me now speak with true fear and
      trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in
      there with ground troops. When people speak of "having
      the belly to do what needs to be done" they're
      thinking in terms of having the belly to
      kill as many as needed. Having the belly to overcome
      any moral qualms about killing innocent people. Let's
      pull our heads out of the sand.

      What's actually on the table is Americans dying. And
      not just because some Americans would die fighting
      their way through Afghanistan to Bin Laden's hideout.
      It's much bigger than that folks.Because to get any
      troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through
      Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The conquest
      of Pakistan would have to be first. Will other Muslim
      nations just stand by? You see where I'm going. We're
      flirting with a world war between Islam and the West.
      And guess what: that's Bin Laden's program. That's
      exactly what he wants. That's why he did this. Read
      his speeches and statements.

      It's all right there. He really believes Islam would
      beat the west. It might seem ridiculous, but he
      figures if he can polarize the world into Islam and
      the West, he's got a billion soldiers. If the west
      wreaks a holocaust in those lands, that's a billion
      people with nothing left to lose, that's even better
      from Bin Laden's point of view. He's probably wrong,
      in the end the West would win, whatever that would
      mean, but the war would last for years and millions
      would die, not just theirs but ours. Who has the
      belly for that?

      Unfortunately, Bin Laden does. Anyone else?

      In Peace,

      Tamim Ansary