Re: refuges

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
      I know of many incidents where disabled people (both female and male)
      have had to flee their accessible home because of violence (physical
      and mental) by nondisabled people.

      Unfortunately due to the great shortage of accessible accommodation
      local housing authorities have to place another disabled person in
      the same accommodation even if the threats have come from neighbours.

      Keith
    • Steve Palmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
        Dear Keith and all who are differently-abled,

        Is't it interesting that people who are physicaly and mentaly
        different (than the vast majority of people who consider themselves normal),
        are still living at the same level of society we were throughout the history
        of mankind. One would think that there was somekind of a CONSPYRICYTHEORY
        to prevent people who are different, from living with the people who think
        of themselves as normal. I wonder when all the normal people are going
        figure out that there is something fundamentally wrong with that?
        Perhaps someone should tell them that it's them who are crazy. People
        with different challenges have always been with us, and I'm sorry to say,
        are still being discarded by people's predjudices and indifference. As an
        Advocate with a lifetimes expierence of living in a body others percieve as
        disabled, I know this is wrong and WE DO NOT NEED TO BE FIXED! We just
        need to be included, and this means accessable and affordable housing.
        Keep on keepin on brothers and sisters These guys ain't fooling anyone.
        Your crazy canadian/american friend and mine........Steve Palmer Disabled
        Advocate, Campbell River British Columbia
        "The truth is true and all is well, unconquerable life prevails."
        Martin Exeter
        I know of many incidents where disabled people (both female and male)
        have had to flee their accessible home because of violence (physical
        and mental) by nondisabled people.

        Unfortunately due to the great shortage of accessible accommodation
        local housing authorities have to place another disabled person in
        the same accommodation even if the threats have come from neighbours.

        Keith

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        www.nissandriven.com

        To Subscribe, please send a blank message to:
        disabilitystudies-subscribe@...

        To Unsubscribe, please send a blank message to:

      • Michael Yared
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
          From the U.S.:
          An interesting law review article is:
          Stanton, John. "The Immigration Laws from a Disability Perspective: Where We
          Were, Where We Are, Where We Should Be." 10 Georgetown Immigration Law
          Journal 441-EOA (Summer 1996).
          Also look at http://www.ins.usdoj.gov for a list of FR and CRF list on
          disability-related information.

          Mike Yared

        • Maria B
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
            Hello
            I hope you forgive me sharing this frustrating experience , I have been at
            advocate for the adaptation of the regular transport system for the past 20
            years. The last five years other groups have succeeded in making some
            change in Montreal. At this point, we have about the 40 of about the 180
            bus routes that have some access. For the first time since July 2001, the
            buses were supposed to be available people who use wheelchairs at any time.
            Needless to say this was not the fact. Since July I have tried to get into
            the buses about the six times. These will my experiences:
            two times, the bus drivers would not stop to pick me out
            two times, the ramp did not work
            one time the door would not open. Finally, last week I got into the bus two
            times. I must say I felt the good, but the second trip to the lesson about
            the what you term "normal" people "temporarily, non- disabled people" they
            really don't have clue about access. They don't see that the a ramp can be
            useful for more then those of us who use wheelchairs. That is, I saw woman
            with a baby carriage risking jumping what might have been a space of about
            to 12 inches rather than asking for the ramp. Now, as a social worker the
            first thing that came to my mind was parental abuse. Many of you may
            remember the case of the woman (mother) the with disabilities (wheelchair
            user) that was threatened with losing a child, because she risk was crossing
            the street with her child on her lap. What is the difference between these
            two cases? From my standpoint really difference is a who has power to make
            the rules. So I guess, the so-called"normal" people "temporarily, non-
            disabled people" need to have a lesson in [disability positive, relaxation
            technique].

            Maria