Re: [disabilitystudies] "Invalid Women"

  • katab nazir
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2001

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2001
        katab

        What is your comment or view?

        Keith

        --- In disabilitystudies@y..., katab nazir <specialknm@y...> wrote:

        > --- Keith Armstrong <keitharm@p...> wrote:
        > > I would be interested in learning from disabled
        > > females on this list
        > > about their thoughts on the book "Invalid Women" by
        > > Diau Price
        > > Herndl, 1983.
        > >
        > > It appears that it was not written by anyone with an
        > > understanding
        > > of the issues of impairment or disability.
        > >
        > > I must admit I liked the quote from Margaret Atwood
        > > -
        > > "An invalid, one who has been invalidated".
        > >
        > > I may, of course be wrong.
        > >
        > > Please share your comments
        > >

        > > Keith
        > > Keith Armstrong

        Messenger
        > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Maria B
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 11, 2001
          Need more info, who says it? what language?How is it said? Who is D. Price?
          Maria

          disabilitystudies-subscribe@...

          > To Unsubscribe, please send a blank message to:

        • Maria B
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2001
            Keith can you tell me more about the book?

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2001

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 12, 2001
                Marie

                I've been having slight computer problem it appears that my earlier
                responce didn't get through.

                It was written in American-English and published by a USA University
                press in 1983.

                When I get my OCR working again I'll post an example.

                Keith

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2001
                  Maria

                  Thanks. My main comment is that it appears that the author has not
                  contacted disabled women in how they feel about the representation
                  of disabled women with impairments and illnesses.

                  Therefore the book represents the thoughts of a nondisabled woman.

                  I could not consider writing about racism in fiction without contact
                  and consulation with members and representatives of the black and
                  ethnic communities.

                  Keith

                  --- In disabilitystudies@y..., "Maria B" <mariab@c...> wrote:

                  > Keith this is the total bibliography
                  > The Invalid Women : Figuring Feminine Illness in American Fiction
                  and
                  > Culture, 1840-1940 Univ of North Carolina Pr; ISBN: 0807821039

                • Maria B
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2001
                    thanks

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 13, 2001

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2001
                        I remember being present at a meeting in the New Theater in Oxford in
                        the late 60's when Germain Greer was speaking, she said 'after
                        liberation the only need for prostitutes would be for disabled or old
                        men'.

                        I shouted to her that her comments were an outrage to disabled people,
                        my comments weren't answered and they continued on with the meeting.

                        Keith

                        --- In disabilitystudies@y..., "Maria B" <mariab@c...> wrote:
                        > Yes, but unfortunately as a disabled woman that studied feminism I
                        can
                        > assure you that that happens often especially in 1983. Before
                        groups like
                        > DAWN and WILD. I don't recal the disabled women's group in the UK.
                        I hated
                        > it then I hate it now.
                        > Maria

                        • Michael Yared
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 14, 2001
                            Typical attitude of upper-class rich feminists.
                            Did you know President Bill CLinton did it with Greer when he was at Oxford?
                            Mike

                            <<"Keith Armstrong" <keitharm@...>