NEW GROUP - Art_in_Context

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2001
      Art_in_Context

      One of the differences between art and illustration is that art has
      to take you somewhere and reveal a truth, make a statement or take
      you to a goal.

      However, art should not be taken out of the context of it's area
      or venue of display. Many factors make up the environment of works
      of art. Does the image have frame? What shape or colour is this
      frame? Is the venue accessible to wheelchair users, deaf people,
      those with visual or other impairments. Is the venue accessible to
      people regarding gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or class? Does
      the promoter provide visual description on audio tape for people who
      are blind and partially-sighted? Does the gallery or display area
      have ramps or other access features?

      Meanwhile the disability art world has rarely engaged the nondisabled
      art world, often having small and unpublicised art shows by disabled
      artists in community centres or church halls, not being recognised by
      a nondisabled art establishment that views impairment as a blemish on
      their "perfect world " and their standards of "beauty"

      For far too long I have colluded with the nondisabled art world,
      allowing the indignity of being carried or lifted up obstacles such
      as steps. If I cannot get into the building I intend to record the
      event and review show from the outside, reviewing what I am able to
      see such as the large steps or anything I can see from the window.

      You are invited to read ,send or comment on reviews about exhibitions
      or museum shows that review art in the context of it's
      environment and liberation.

      No attachments! No spaming! No flaming! Thank you

      keitharmstrong