UK General Election

  • Hutchison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
      Keith reported on some of the political parties' statements on disability surrounding the Westminster election campaign.  He mentioned that he didn't have anything from the Natural Law Party, Scottish National Party, Plaid Cymru, and some others.

      Here is an extract from information which the Scottish National Party has sent to me.  Perhaps other subscribers have info on some of the other parties who have not yet been quoted?

      Iain

      DISABILITY MANIFESTO

      - to be read in conjunction with Disability Agenda Scotland manifesto

      Civil rights

      The Disability Manifesto calls for the extension of the Disability Discrimination Act 1985, including for it to be extended to include all forms of transport, to include all employers and to include a wider definition of disability.

      • By October 2004, most forms of transport will have to meet certain standards set out in the DDA. Planes and ferries are excluded from this – clearly this will impact disabled people in outlying and island areas.
      • Currently the DDA does not apply to small businesses or to the police, fire, prison or military services.
      • The DDA does not apply to people who are HIV positive or certain mental illnesses.

        • As a first step towards ending discrimination against people with disabilities the SNP will seek to extend the powers and scope of the DDA.

      Access to information

      The Disability Manifesto calls for full access to information for people with disabilities.

      • The SNP supports the promotion of the use of alternative formats amongst service providers. Our manifesto will be available in a number of formats.
      • The SNP has a history of active promotion of British Sign Language. Last year, Winnie Ewing moved a members debate in the Scottish Parliament calling for official recognition of the language.
      • The SNP’s key election document We stand for jobs pledges to give Scotland full broadband access. Also, We stand for education calls for an increased use of IT in schools. The SNP recognises that these new technologies offer exciting opportunities to all our people – not least to those with disabilities – and will ensure equality of access to all.

      Effective benefits system

      The Disability Manifesto calls for reform of the benefits system.

      • The SNP recognises that New Labour welfare reforms have hit people with disabilities hard. We would therefore support any calls for a review of the adequacy of benefits.
      • Benefits should be readily available to those entitled to them – we would therefore support campaigns to improve uptake rates.
      • The SNP will consider proposals to streamline the application process and to review the timescales and tests involved. Those entitled to benefits should get them as quickly as possible.
      • The SNP recognises the value of Scotland’s carers and believes that they should receive support based on the value of their contribution – not solely on their inability to earn.
      • The SNP will consider proposals to review Welfare to Work beneficiary rules in line with the calls in the Disability Manifesto.

      Employment & Training

      The Disability Manifesto highlights the difficulties of disabled people in the spheres of employment and training.

      • The SNP recognises that disabled people deserve to be recognised as full and active participants in society and that society needs to change many of its attitudes. Our vision is of a fair and just Scotland – we seek to re-establish an independent Scotland, not to simply tinker around the edges. We envisage a society built on foundations of justice and compassion for all our people.

      The SNP does not believe that the best way to serve the needs of disabled people is through cooperation with Westminster and Holyrood. The discrepancies of devolved/reserved powers will be remedied when full powers are returned to the people of Scotland.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
        Thanks Ian,

        It is a pity that the Scottish Nationalist don't have candidates
        in the whole of the UK.

        There has been three election meetings in Camden (LOndon),Dobbo(1)
        our local Labour M.P. Frank Dobson has been too scared to attend any
        of them.

        Keith

        (1) also known locally as Henry VIIIth.