  • Maria Barile
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001

      Hi All

      I’ m either paranoid or "avant- garde" again, I’m not sure which. However, experience of living as a member of the disabled minority for 47 years, tells me that if we as a community are not involved in new social change(s) we’ll be forgotten at best or deliberately kept out at worst.

      For those in North America

      As I sat watching the Summit of the Americas and the people’s Summit unfolds I kept wondering why we (disabled community) as a group were again the only social group not present. I was also angry because my last minute efforts to get there were futile, the groups with group buses that I called had no lift on them.

      These agreements include not only trades of goods but also services and now democracy.(I will not speak here on the goods element but those who look at this from a political economy views will know that economically speaking we’ve lost another battle.

      I do not know what the notion of democracy will entail, but just the idea of free election is important. How will people with disabilities vote in Haiti, if voting cards are on papers only, if the voting locale are in offices with stairs and no ramps; Even in Canada up to two decade ago in some places voting spaces were not accessible. What about the fact that stills during the November election political parties only had party platform on paper only, most TV commercial ads were not captioned and Internet ads were not alt-tagged? So why is democracy not ramped, and available on tape, Braille or disc? Why are there no sign language interpreters in democracy of the Americas? Why are we excluded from very central democratic process?

      If I were cynical I would suggest "they" expect that by 2005, we-as a group will be a thing of the past, but I’ll be nice and say, Presidents and Prime Minister and their staffs are absent-minded "they forgot us"

      What about us, can we afford to be forgotten? Can we afford to allow our brothers sisters in less wealthier counties to be excluded? Most of all can we trust those who continuously forget us, to do so in the next, new economy and civil society? I’m not sure if Free Trade is good or bad for us, we need to ask questions get funded and investigate what this means for us.

      For those in Europe

      , the globalization ball will come to Italy in June Organize

      In sisterhood

      Maria Barile

      Eco-access Montreal P.Q.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2001
        Maria

        Certainly our issues are not taken on board for a number of reasons.

        Today there is a concert in Trafalgar Square in support of Nelson
        Mandela (rightly so), however the whole of the West End in the centre
        of London has only two accessible toilets and the vast majority of
        disabled drivers are banned from using their parking badges and
        therefore are denied permission to park, none of the so called
        "Public Transport" in the West End is accessible to wheelchair users
        and other disabled people, although the U.K. is one of the richest
        countries in the world. The West End of London is almost a no go area
        if you are disabled. Most of the clubs are very inaccessible and most
        of other venues.

        Most of us (in Europe) are denied access to paid work and then there
        are those who forget us such as many cycle users although they
        wouldn't be riding their cycles if it wasn't for a disabled inventors
        modification of his wheelchair in the seventeenth century.

        Then there is the impairment phobia that so many nondisabled people
        have and is so often internalized by many members of the disability
        communities.

        As Joe Hill once said "Don't mourn, organize".

        Keith
      • Maria Barile
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001
          I'm told Italy has this very advance law that favors disabled persons in
          work force is it not the same in the UK?

          disabilitystudies-subscribe@...

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            In theory yes, however it does apply to the vast majority of employers
            who employ less than 15 people and you have to add the factors of
            discrimination in education and transport.

            Keith