Re: [disabilitystudies] Abuse, hate crimes and domestic violence

  • Maria Barile
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6 5:32 PM
      Hi Mark,
      I did not see that paper, but on same issue I wonder what people think
      about enlarging the parameter of what we call crime and violence.

      I've been questioning why we find that its OK for people to help us-
      without our consent. If its not OK to touch a stranger -non-disabled
      without their permission, Why is not a crime when someone touches us without
      out permission and ends up hurting. even if its as they put it trying to
      help? My impairment have been made worse. often times when I walk outside
      some individual or other wants to help, so they pull and hold my arm
      really tight, I end up getting hurt, should I not have the right to sue?
      The law seems better in the UK & Australia, Can you guys pursue that?
      Maria
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7 10:59 AM
        The August 2000 issue of the TASH Newsletter (Vol. 26, No. 8) has an article
        entitled "Violence Against Women with Developmental Disabilities: The Hidden
        Violence" by Catriona Johnson (pp. 22 & 23). Mark, if you want it and have
        trouble getting it, let me know; I can send it to you. (TASH is the current
        name of the organization that used to be called The Association for Persons
        with Severe Handicaps.)
        Take care,
        Diana
        Diana Lawrence-Brown