[disabilitystudies] Ian Dury died today.

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2000
      Ian Dury died today.

      The sad news is that Ian Dury Britons' the disabled pop star,
      singer song writer, artist, writer and television presenter
      has just passed away because of cancer. Ian Dury caught
      Polio at the age of 7. As a Polio survivor he campaigned
      for disability rights.

      His two major bands were Kilburn and the High Roads
      and the Blockheads.

      In 1981 [International Year of/for Disabled People (IYDP) *]
      there were three recording released to celebrate that year.
      Only one was made by a disabled artist about disability issues,

      Ian Durys' "Spasticus Autisticus" which was promptly banned
      by the BBC It was stilled banned in 1982 and my request to
      play it as part of a promotion for a disability arts festival
      in London was turned down by BBC2s' "Round Midnight" program
      although they were played other recording he had made on
      nondisability issues.

      Ian Dury had a number one U.K. single: "Hit me with your rhythm
      stick" and his song "Sex, drugs and rock & roll" became an anthem.

      I'll never forget his homage to Gene Vincent on his first album.
      Gene Vincent was also a Polio survivor and early rock star.

      The disability community has lost a great talent.

      * IYDP was originally to be "for" and was changed after pressure
      to be "of" disabled people.
    • Tom Hendrie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2000
        Hi Keith

        A sad loss to both the disability and music world.

        His witty and insightful lyrics really touched a chord.

        Tom