[disabilitystudies] Ancient Disabled Gods

  • keith armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 1999
      At one time in ancient Greece many disabled gods were worshipped.

      One such god was 'Hephaistos' known to the Romans as 'Vulcanous'.
      His temples were built all over the Mediterranean,
      unfortunately most of them are not accessible to ordinary wheelchair
      users.

      There were many other disabled gods in other cultures.

      Can you share any information here? I think that understanding
      our mythological past can help our community in the future.

      To find out more about Hephaistos and other disabled ancient
      gods try the Urls. below.

      - - - - - - - - - -- - - --

      http://argos.evansville.edu/
      http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/
      http://www.mythinglinks.org/searchr.html
      http://www.pantheon.org/cgi-bin/wwwwais/wwwwais.cgi
      http://www.arts.unimelb.edu.au/amu/ucr/student/1996/b.marasco/contents.
      htm
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.html
      http://lib.haifa.ac.il/www/art/gr_menu.html
      http://perseus.csad.ox.ac.uk/Help/fonthelp.html#instructs
      http://longman.awl.com/mythology/chaptertopics/summary_24.asp
      http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/Resources/Beauty/dinos.html
      http://www.loggia.com/myth/myth.html
      http://www.usu.edu/~history/fran/links.html
      http://www.hi.is/~arnfrij/
      http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/RomanSit
      es*/home.html
      http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/ambrose.html

      Keith
    • Cindy Glaze
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2000
        Greetings,

        I just joined this list, which I heard about on the disability-
        reasearch list from the UK. In reading the archives, I have
        discovered that little has been said, or much has been elided. I
        would like to continue a thread which was born, and died, in November
        of 1999.

        --- In disabilitystudies@egroups.com, "keith armstrong" wrote:
        > At one time in ancient Greece many disabled gods were worshipped.
        >
        > One such god was 'Hephaistos' known to the Romans as 'Vulcanous'.
        > His temples were built all over the Mediterranean,
        > unfortunately most of them are not accessible to ordinary
        wheelchair
        > users.
        >
        > There were many other disabled gods in other cultures.
        >
        > Can you share any information here? I think that understanding
        > our mythological past can help our community in the future.

        I have been looking into disAbled Gods for a few months for another
        project and came up with several which might be of interest.

        In mobility issues:

        Dabog (Hroma Daba) is a Slavanic, lame, sun god.
        Hephestus (Hephaistos) is a Greek, lame, smith god.
        Li Tie is a Chinese lame, Taoist Immortal

        Tyr is a Norse sky and war god with one hand.

        In sensory issues:

        Hodur (many spellings) is a Norse blind god of winter and darkness.
        Kui is a Polynesian blind earth god.
        Lord Sri Venkateswara is an Indian (India) blind god of prosperity.
        Zinkibaru is an African (Songhoi) blind master of fish.

        I have found no deaf gods yet.

        In mental illness issues:

        Attis is a Phygia/Greek/Roman (vegitation?) god who went mad and died
        castrating himself.
        Yima is Persian and is called schizoid in most texts which name him
        at all.

        In social disability issues:

        Afagddu (Morfan) is a Welsh god or hero who was extremely ugly.
        Many gods were impotent for one reason or another.
        Bes is an Egyptian dwarf god of good luck and help in childbirth.
        There are many gods called giant, but this was rarely an impediment
        in godhood.

        I'm sure there are more, but as you can see, the old Gods were in all
        human conditions, not just one (old able bodied white man with a
        beard).

        Bright Blessings

        Cindy J. B. Glaze
      • keith armstrong
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2000
          Cindy

          Many thanks for your list, some new to me.

          Wednesday is named after Wanton which is another name
          for Odin who only had one eye.

          Keith

          --- In disabilitystudies@egroups.com, "Cindy Glaze" <cerridwyn@r...>