FYI "Life After Mental Health Labels"

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hi everyone,
      Apologies for cross posting. Below is a invitation from Mindfreedom to have how there is "Life After Mental Health Labels" ("Life After
      Psychiatric Drugs") share their experiences on website.

      Glenn

      Hi MFI Members,

      Maybe you heard that the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender movement has
      a successful web campaign called IT GETS BETTER.

      Their campaign has helped thousands of people tell their stories in a
      way to let young people know there is hope.

      MindFreedom's Boycott Normal Campaign is now launching the "mental
      health version" of "It Gets Better"!

      And you can help. On an urgent basis.

      BELOW is message to you from Aki, who is a wonderfully supportive
      graduate student in Ohio.

      Aki has launched a blog just for your stories -- small or large --
      about how there is "Life After Mental Health Labels" ("Life After
      Psychiatric Drugs").

      I know when I first was labeled and drugged I nearly gave up, but I
      heard about our movement!

      YOU can give hope to those who are just getting psychiatric labels
      today, especially young people... let them know about our movement,
      about alternatives, about HOPE, about YOU!

      We want to publicize Aki's new blog to the public. But we need more
      stories -- as short as a tweet, or long as a short story. Even a few
      words will help.

      So please take a look at Aki's call to you BELOW.

      Then please.... email to the address Aki lists, with a story about you
      or a loved one, and that there is Life After Labels! You know a story
      has power.

      This will help the Boycott Normal Campaign, which we want to launch on
      10/10, "World Mental Health Day."

      Thank you!

      David Oaks, Director, MindFreedom

      ~~~~~~

      Dear MFI members

      My name is Aki, and I have launched a blog as a part of our Boycott
      Normal! campaign.

      The blog is called Our Lives After Labels.

      Please submit your stories to this email address -- lifeafterlabels@...
      -- with a short passage, even a few sentences, about:

      ** how labels HURT you or your loved ones

      ** how you struggled with those labels, and

      ** perhaps how you overcame them.

      You can take a look at here:

      http://ourlivesafterlabels.blogspot.com

      It's a submission-based blog where ANYONE with psychiatric struggles
      can submit stories (or videos, song, art piece, etc) about their lives
      after psychiatric labeling.

      Why is MindFreedom doing this?

      Well, we all know the number of youths with psychiatric labels is
      higher than ever. If the DSM-5 comes out as planned, it's likely that
      it will increase labeling even more.

      Blogs are popular among youths today, so reading our stories all in
      one blog can help someone in a time of confusion and loneliness.

      As you can tell from the blog, I have already received some stories.
      They are all powerful and inspiring.

      I'm sure you have an inspiring story to tell as well!

      I'm sure you have a story that needs to be heard!

      YOUR story can help someone in a very lonely place.

      YOUR story can save someone's life!

      When I receive more stories, I plan to make this into a real website
      with a better design and an easier navigation. (I am already talking
      to one of my best friends who is a talented web designer and a
      survivor himself.)

      So please submit your stories to this address -- lifeafterlabels@...
      -- with a short passage, even a few sentences about how labels hurt
      you or your loved ones.... how you struggled with those labels.... and
      perhaps how you overcame them.

      Thank you.

      Aki

      ~~~~~~~~~~~

      MindFreedom International
      454 Willamette, Suite 216 - POB 11284
      Eugene, OR 97440-3484 USA

      web: http://www.mindfreedom.org
      email: office@...
      office phone: 541-345-9106 fax: 480-287-8833
      member services toll free in USA: 1-877-MAD-PRID[e] or 1-877-623-7743

      Unite for a Nonviolent Revolution in Mental Health.

      Donate/renew here: http://www.mindfreedom.org/join-donate

      "Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."
      - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      ~~~~~~~~
      This list is a service for members of MindFreedom International
      http://www.MindFreedom.org Please only copy and forward posts with the
      explicit permission of the poster.