Protest afgainst hate crime in Portland, Oregon

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2011
      LGBT groups in town are coming together to organize a response to the anti-gay assault reported this week near the Hawthorne Bridge. Two men told police they were punched and harassed near the bridge after holding hands in Waterfront Park last Sunday evening.

      "This is one of the first times all of the big groups in town have worked together on something that's not Pride," says organizer and Q Center boardmember Stephen Cassell, who says he thought of the action plan in the middle of the night and quickly posted the idea on Facebook. "The point is to show that we are here and that we have support."

      Now, Basic Rights Oregon, Cascade AIDS Project, the Q Center, and Pride NW are asking anyone who supports the rights of people to hold hands in public without fear of a beat-down to meet at 7:30 pm Sunday night, May 29th, on the west side of the Hawthorne Bridge, Portland, Oregon, USA and hold hands across the entire span.