Re: Resist State Budget Cuts

  • yourkamden
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2010
      What is the excuse for these Budget Cuts?

      People pay for what they value.

      Keith

      --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn_kirkindall@...> wrote:

      > You are invited to this important meeting to Resist State Budget Cuts
      >
      > April Burris, homecare worker and SEIU member, will speak on impending state budget cuts and who will be the most affected including elders, people with disabilities, and the workers who assist them in maintaining quality of life. Bring your input on how unions and the community can rally to save jobs and ensure that those who are most in need will not lose critical lifelines.
      >
      > July, 20 @ 6:30pm
      >
      > Bread and Roses Center
      > 819 N. Killingsworth Street
      > Portland, Oregon
      > USA
      >
      > (on Tri-Met lines #44 and #72)
      > Meal available at 6:15 pm for $5-8 donation

    • Glenn Kirkindall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2010
        Hi Keith,
        The excuse is that the governor in June ordered a 9  percent across-the-board budget cuts to adjust to a $577 million hole in the budget resulting from the recession and declining state revenue. The cuts affect both social services and public education.  What is not mentioned in the news is that the cuts would not affect prisons.

        Glenn

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          Hi Glen,

          Is Canada involved in any wars you can oppose?

          Keith

          --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Kirkindall <glenn_kirkindall@...> wrote:

          > Hi Keith,
          > The excuse is that the governor in June ordered a 9  percent across-the-board budget cuts to adjust to a $577 million hole in the budget resulting from the recession and declining state revenue. The cuts affect both social services and public education.  What is not mentioned in the news is that the cuts would not affect prisons.
          >
          > Glenn

        • Glenn Kirkindall
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
            Hi Keith,
            I live in the US yet I am opposed to not only the US but also Canadian troops in both Iran and Afghanistan.  In Iraq the US troops have been used to intimidate the oil workers union.  In Afghanistan the US troops are often supporting reactionay clerics.  I suspect the Canadian government is using the Canadian troops to do the same thing.  I have read that there is objection of many Canadians against their their government having troops in the Middle East.

            Opposing the war is a good point.  Here in the US our government needs more soilders in the Middle East.  Our federal government is turning to the govenor of each state to provide national guards persons.  Here in Oregon many of my coworkers are affected.  Many know of a friend or a relative that is in the National Guard that is in the Middle East.  If the Oregon National Guard were not in the Middle East they would be here in Oregon. The money saved could support social services.

            Are there troops from the UK in the Middle East?  Are social services being cut in the UK?
            I would be interested in writing a joint letter to both the major newspaper in Oregon the Oregonian and a major paper in the UK.

            Glenn Kirkindall
            Portland, Oregon
            USA